We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

(SOLVED) Cache drive hardware failure (no backup) – Next steps

Hi all,

I was running Unraid 6.8-6.9? (unsure of the version) , and I migrated my PC hardware to a new computer case. I was short on SATA power connectors and made the mistake of using a cheap molex to sata adapter which fried my SSD cache drive. First boot the PC powered off immediately, so I unplugged all hard drives and booted with SSD only to troubleshoot. On second boot, the SSD started smoking and I immediately shutdown my system. On second boot, all the hard drives were unplugged, so I hope the hard drives are not damaged. I tried installing one of the hard drive via USB dock and it does spin up, however because I'm on windows it is unable to detect due to its format.

I did not make a backup of my cache drive and expect to lose all data on cache. My objective is to recover the data on the hard drives (assuming all hard drives have not been damaged). I am prepared to install a new SSD cache drive and start from scratch. Please advise the next steps in “rebuilding” the server after installing a new cache drive.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

An update on this for anyone in similar scenario:

-Luckily the array of hard drives and boot flash drive undamaged

-PC Power supply undamaged

-Plug in new cache drive and reinstall "previous Apps" as Kilrah suggested

-Everything worked as expected

Lesson learned: install Appdata Backup/Restore v2

Edited by belupig
Solved, summary update

I don't see mention of failure of the boot drive, just cache SSD.

Assuming the rest of the hardware is OK you should be able to replace SSD, start up and assign it to the cache pool instead of the dead one, start array, format the SSD, and be good to go with all your data minus whatever was on the dead cache drive.

What that means next kinda depends on what you were storing on / running from it (any dockers? VMs?) and any backups you'd have of that.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, itimpi said:

The data on any array drives (that are not damaged) should be intact.

Do you have a recent backup of the flash drive?   If not then you can follow these steps to sort out your drive assignments.   If in doubt ask for further help.

I have a recent backup of the flash drive and I did make a partial screenshot of the array order. The flash drive should also be intact.

My plan is to test power supply and when the new SSD cache drive arrives, I will boot into bios and see if array of hard drives are detected. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I don't see mention of failure of the boot drive, just cache SSD.

Assuming the rest of the hardware is OK you should be able to replace SSD, start up and assign it to the cache pool instead of the dead one, start array, format the SSD, and be good to go with all your data minus whatever was on the dead cache drive.

What that means next kinda depends on what you were storing on / running from it (any dockers? VMs?) and any backups you'd have of that.

The boot drive should be still intact, I also have automated backups from My Servers.

I am assuming array hard drives are okay at this point, and I will find out once I test my power supply and boot into bios. Good to hear the data should be fine. I have dockers on the cache drive, but no backup of it. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

From the "Previous Apps" section in CA you'll be able to select and reinstall whatever apps you had with the template settings they had, but obviously all the appdata for them will be gone...

Thanks for the tips Kilrah. Will do this tonight.

• belupig changed the title to (SOLVED) Cache drive hardware failure (no backup) – Next steps