Nextcloud update fails due to Gateway timeout "504"

johnjd

Hey guys,

My Nextcloud install from linuxserver.io needs an update from version 23.0.8 to 24.0.4. It has always been slow, but I've never had the motivation to do anything about it. Now, my updater fails at the Backup stage with the following error message:

<html> <head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head> <body> <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx</center> </body> </html> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page -->

What can I do about this?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi johnjd,

I don't know if you could fix your problem already or not, but I stumpled upon your question while having the same problem. So in case anyone else struggles again, I document what I did.

As said in the very first post of the "[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud" thread (thanks to blaine07)

You do have other options to upgrade. Simply use the terminal and it should work.

2.  Update from the terminal when the upgrade shows as available with:
docker exec -it nextcloud updater.phar

For all steps in detail, you can see https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/maintenance/update.html#using-the-command-line-based-updater . I used it to double check what the "occ upgrade" does.

Hope I could help, even though I don't know why the GUI update fails :D

• Upvote 2

My Nextcloud always fails at "backup" and "others..." when I upgrade.

My solution, that has always worked, it to wait (or refesh and be told to wait). In the end, it always works.

I've just jinxed myself because I have an update to go through from 24.0.4 to 24.0.5... Wish me luck?

Failed at Create Backup... I hit "reload" page... It says "Continue Update" (but not like a true question)... So , I do...

... It's downloading the update...

I'm at "Deleting old files" -- it always fails here... YUP... another "refresh/reload"...

Failed again at, "Move new files in place"... I knew I jinxed it...

I hit refresh and it seems good if I continue...

Now, I'm in the Nextcloud GUI and it's scary... I click, "Start Update"...

It says an error occured... this is live...

It says (on the screen) to reload the page... I will...

My Nextcloud is again working perfectly.

I'm sorry if this journey is out of context.

MrGrey.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

@MrGreyNearly the same steps helped me too. Thank you for your description.👍

I am wondering and don´t understand why it helps, but it does.🤔 "Refreshing/reloading page" and/or "continue/retry update" after every error stop is helpful.

Now newest version (=25.0.4) is running.😊

Edited by sunpower
21 minutes ago, sunpower said:

I am wondering and don´t understand why it helps, but it does.🤔 "Refreshing/reloading page" and/or "continue/retry update" after every error stop is helpful.

Now newest version (=25.0.4) is running.😊

I usually open the console for nextcloud and run "updater.phar".  Then you don't have to refresh and retry multiple times.

• Like 1