We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Feedback on Unraid (August 2022)

Hey, just tried to use Unraid, so here's my experience so far:

• Windows 10, Dell XPS 9570 - Windows USB Creator gets stuck on "syncing filesystem". Tried about 10 times with different USB sticks and ports (no hubs, directly into the laptop).
  • My friend with exactly the same laptop on Windows 11 was able to create the USB stick. Unfortunately when ran, on the Docker tab I get "Docker service failed to start." On a forum here somewhere it was said it means the USB stick is corrupted. I waited for The Array to finish it's parity check and I let the thing run for couple of days to make sure it's not init related issue. The docker service still says it has failed to start. There's a post on this forum somewhere with a command (I think it was just "dockerd" or smth) that should say what the reason is for it not starting, but it just dumps log of successful init and then no error is given.
  • I tried creating the USB stick from a desktop PC (Windows 11), which succeeded, but I'm unable to boot from it ("bzfirmware checksum error"

Additionally, it took me excessive amount of time to figure out that "The Array" means there's literally one array and I'm not able to divide disks into arrays as I choose and please, i.e. make one array out of 4TB SSDs and another array out of 10TB drives. Instead there's this one "The Array" and some convoluted mechanism of setting stuff into cache, which really isn't a cache then, etc. The build has ASRock H370M-ITX/ac board, i7-9700 CPU (clarifying just to make it known I'm not setting up a barn build with museum stuff).

All told, I gave it few days to try and get myself set up, I wasn't able to run anything reliably, so I'm giving up. I have some boxes running TrueNAS and a few running Storage Spaces, all of which presented a lot less headache to set up (for a lot less money, also). I'm not dissing, this is just feedback.