Setup backup share but lost at settings

robti

it is basically up to you to decide how you want the share to be handled - there is no right or wrong as it depends on what you want.

You would normally want backups on the array so you typically do not  use a pool.

In terms of which drives to use that is up to you.   The share can be configured to use a specific drive or allowed to spread over all drives.

The settings shown in the screenshot are not atypical.

52 minutes ago, robti said:

"The settings shown in the screenshot are not atypical."  is it possible to nudge me in the right way please, i have been searching since i read your reply or tell me to do a backup with something else ?

Thanks

I wad trying to say that those  settings are fine unless you have some special requirements..

• Thanks 1
  • My 2cents. I would set the free space to something other than 0. For instance I know my Typical backup size for my Dockers are around 36GB so I set my Minimum space to 50GB so I know that when a drive gets that low it'll automatically pick another drive.
  • I also normally target a specific drive for all my backups. I use disk1 for all my Restore/Backup stuff, but that's just me and in hindsight might be a bad idea since if that drive dies no other backups are anywhere on my array. Lol, I might have to rethink that, but It'll do for now since I do have offline backups too.  

I know what I typed up above contradicts each other since I pick a drive, but I use the Minimum Space on all my shares to insure they don't get full.