Please help me review the pieces I chose for my NAS

shry8

Hi!

I would like to put together a NAS for my home but I don't know much about parts, if someone was kind enough to review what I picked and let me know if this makes sense!

I would use that NAS to save/store my data, stream to not more than 3 devices simultaneously, run some docker containers with some apps (probably some kind of pi-hole, stream music, photoprism, a bit of torrenting, and experiment a bit...). I'm also wondering if what I picked could be overkill and if I could use cheaper components.

thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qGnzC6

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($160.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($72.30 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $799.19

9 hours ago, shry8 said:

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Just a suggestion.  Unless there is a reason you want a full size ATX power supply, I suggest you go with an SFX power supply such as the Corsair SF600.   600 Watts is more than enough for what you have specified and even if you fill the case with the maximum 6 HDDs.  In fact, you may even want to consider the 450 Watt version which is what I have in my current backup server which has 5 8TB HDDs and NVMe M.2 SSD. (see my sig for all the details)

The Node 304 case will accommodate a full size PSU but it is a tight fit.  I had a backup build in this same case and found the SFX power supplies much easier to work with in the Node 304.

Edited by Hoopster
8 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Just a suggestion.  Unless there is a reason you want a full size ATX power supply, I suggest you go with an SFX power supply such as the Corsair SF600.   600 Watts is more than enough for what you have specified and even if you fill the case with the maximum 6 HDDs.  In fact, you may even want to consider the 450 Watt version which is what I have in my current backup server which has 5 8TB HDDs and NVMe M.2 SSD. (see my sig for all the details)

The Node 304 case will accommodate a full size PSU but it is a tight fit.  I had a backup build in this same case and found the SFX power supplies much easier to work with in the Node 304.

Got it! Thanks for your suggestion!

2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Why such an old processor / motherboard?

I'm trying to not spend too much but still have a compact build that fits my needs. These looked like a good compromise to me, and I guess it's a bit hard to get n00b friendly documentation online on things that just got released.

8 hours ago, trurl said:

Often old hardware is out-of-production and more expensive due to limited supply.

ah, ok I see what they meant. I had checked the availability before posting the list here and both motherboard and processor would cost me about 75 USD, I think that's a fair price

4 minutes ago, shry8 said:

ah, ok I see what they meant. I had checked the availability before posting the list here and both motherboard and processor would cost me about 75 USD, I think that's a fair price

Newer generations typically improve a little bit each time on the power per unit processed, even if the overall speed isn't that different. So for a given processing task, newer generations of hardware will use less electricity. If you don't pay anything for power, then the point is moot. If you have an electric bill each month, keep in mind the ongoing energy cost vs. the purchase price of a newer CPU and board.

A i3-12100 CPU benchmarks almost three times the speed of a i5-7400, while consuming less power. Even the Pentium Gold G7400 has a faster benchmark, and it uses much less electricity.

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Newer generations typically improve a little bit each time on the power per unit processed, even if the overall speed isn't that different. So for a given processing task, newer generations of hardware will use less electricity. If you don't pay anything for power, then the point is moot. If you have an electric bill each month, keep in mind the ongoing energy cost vs. the purchase price of a newer CPU and board.

A i3-12100 CPU benchmarks almost three times the speed of a i5-7400, while consuming less power. Even the Pentium Gold G7400 has a faster benchmark, and it uses much less electricity.

I see, it makes sense, thanks for explaining!