Passthrough boot issues

WiZu

Hi there, I recently upgraded my hardware from my I7 to a 1920x threadripper. Everything went will and it was all working for 1 day (about 2/ 3 reboots done). Today I had to to a reboot because I wanted to do a passthrough of one of my nvme m2 drives. On boot it tried installing Nvidia driver and I got an error of some USB ports disconnected. It stays there. On that moment I am able to login the webpanel do everything (start array run docker e.g.) only the VM with the nvidia passedthrough is not working anymore. Also the nvidia driver plugins says it cannot detect the driver. 

What i tried:

• Switching drivers (nvidia)
  • Undo NVME passthrough
  • Remove and re-install nvidia plugin
  • Removing usb devices

Updated few days ago to latest version (6.11.0)

The only way to fix boot hanging is by removing the nvidia passtrough from devices.

Hope someone can help me fix this issue.

Edited by WiZu

Hi JorgeB, Thanks for the response.

I didn't know that, I always had the driver installed with my gpu passed Through and never had an issue until yesterday. Could the be because of the latest update? For this moment its only one GPU, I do want to add another GPU in the future for plex transcoding.. Would there be a solution for that? So for now, I can just remove the plugin and this should solve my issue right. Do I need to remove the actual driver or will this happen when removing the plugin?

Just now, WiZu said:

So for now, I can just remove the plugin and this should solve my issue right. Do I need to remove the actual driver or will this happen when removing the plugin?

The easiest thing to do is to reboot after removing the plugin to get the driver removed.   Not sure if it is possible to remove the installed driver dynamically without a reboot.

Hi, so I tried booting the server again, removed the nvidia plugin now it doesnt install the driver anymore but it still hangs. So I may have been mislead be the driver installing just before hanging. (still learned I dont need the driver for now 🙂 )

So I am getting a few messages like:

xhci_hcd 0000:09:00.2: remove, state 4

usb usb4: USB disconnect, device number 1

xhci_hcd 0000:09:00.2: USB bus 4 deregistered

xhci_hcd 0000:09:00.2: remove, state 4

usb usb3: USB disconnect, device number 1

usb usb3: USB disconnect, device number 1

xhci_hcd 0000:09:00.2: USB bus 3 deregistered

So I thought maybe the usb manager plugin could be the issue, tried removing it but still the same. Any thoughts on this?