A Question: What Happens on a Power Outage During Parity Built?

Gico
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I replaced both parity disks and began parity built. It should take more than 3 days.

What happens if a power outage happens during the parity built?

Does it have to be started from beginning or it continues from where it reached before the outage?

I have a UPS that lasts for few minutes,

but I moved to a new flat in which power supply is occasionally fails to supply my home's power consumption.

The Parity Check Tuning plugin may be able to restart the check if the UPS allows you to do a clean shutdown as long as you enable the restart option in the plugin settings.    Having said that I have never checked if the restart option works for building parity or simply for checking parity (which is the Use Case I know works).   If it is currently only working for checking parity I must see if I can also get it to work when building parity.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Gico said:

Thanks. I'll investigate/prepare this option if this would be the last resort.

I’ve checked the code and at the moment it only allows for resuming a parity check from the last position reached after a reboot or array stop/start.

I will need do some investigation to see whether the plugin can be enhanced to allow a similar capability to be extended to drive rebuilds and/or parity syncs (builds)

Thanks. How does "Use increments for Parity-Sync/Data Rebuild operations" option should be used?

Can/Could it be set to Parity-sync with increments,

so that after every increment reached I can/could manually set it to start the next increment,

so I would risk only losing progress from the last increment?

17 minutes ago, Gico said:

Thanks. How does "Use increments for Parity-Sync/Data Rebuild operations" option should be used?

Can/Could it be set to Parity-sync with increments,

so that after every increment reached I can/could manually set it to start the next increment,

so I would risk only losing progress from the last increment?

No, unfortunately that will not work.   That option is only about automatically pausing/resuming a running operation, not about restarting it from the point reached after a reboot or array start/stop which is what you want.

• Thanks 1