Advice on disk failure

Go to solution Solved by Richard J,

Hi,

I have 2 X 8 tb disks as parity drives.

disk 1 3tb DISABLED

disk 2 8tb Active.

I have bought a new disk and intend to replace disk 1 - the main tab states 2048 error and the drive is the oldest - I am assuming that is has had its day.

That being said, having read through the unraid forum, there seems to be a possibility that it is not quite that simple!? I was hoping that someone might take a quick look at my unraid logs?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Richard

theindex-diagnostics-20221008-1312.zip

The SMART information for the drive shows nothing obvious, although you might want to consider running an extended SMART rest on the drive to make sure.

A drive is only disabled if a write to it has failed for some reason.   The disabled state will only be cleared by rebuilding the drive contents.   If you want to do this to the same drive then the process to use is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.   At the moment Unraid is emulating the emulated drive using the combination of the other array drives plus parity.   Before doing a rebuild you should check that the contents of the emulated drive contents look like what you expect as the rebuild process simply make a physical drive match the emulated one.

So the Disk stopped rebuilding in the "main tab there are 1024 errors and I got these error messages:

-Array has 1 disk with errors

-Disk 1 in error state

It seems like it is the disk and I guess that I don't understand what a SMART report is as I thought that it was suppose to tell me when my disk had errors - Oh well. I'll just replace the disk an see what happens!

Thanks for your time itimpi

theindex-diagnostics-20221010-1614.zip

• Solution

I replaced a the data disk (and a parity disk). Managed to rebuild everything and it seems to be working well so I guess that it must have been the disk.

@JorgeB thank you kindly for your input. Perhaps a loose lead was present but in changing the drive over I may have fixed it. I will keep this in the back of my mind in the future.

Thank you all for your input.

• Like 1