[RESOLVED] IPMI username / password?

To those users who are using IPMI: did you have to configure a username/password on the system before logging in with IPMI?

I'm finally getting around to using the IPMI feature of my Supermicro motherboard. I've installed Supermicro IPMIViewer on my Windows 7 system, and it detects the proper IP address for my unRAID server. But when I try to connect to that system I get an error message that the username was not found on the server. If I leave the username blank, IPMIViewer tells me that I must enter a user name. I get similar results using the web browser interface.

I've been looking for IPMI related info on this forum and it seems that plenty of users have used IPMI exclusively, implying that it is not necessary to setup a username/pw first. Is there a default username/pw? Does anyone have any suggestions to get IPMI working?

Thanks a bunch,

Randy

IT WORKED! Thanks, you guys are great!

One small thing left to fix: I was able to get Remote Control working in IPMIViewer  - the Java applet launched successfully. But I could not get the Java applet to launch from the browser interface from IE, Chrome, nor Firefox. Other applets load fine in those browsers. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...

To those users who are using IPMI: did you have to configure a username/password on the system before logging in with IPMI?

I'm finally getting around to using the IPMI feature of my Supermicro motherboard. I've installed Supermicro IPMIViewer on my Windows 7 system, and it detects the proper IP address for my unRAID server. But when I try to connect to that system I get an error message that the username was not found on the server. If I leave the username blank, IPMIViewer tells me that I must enter a user name. I get similar results using the web browser interface.

I've been looking for IPMI related info on this forum and it seems that plenty of users have used IPMI exclusively, implying that it is not necessary to setup a username/pw first. Is there a default username/pw? Does anyone have any suggestions to get IPMI working?

Thanks a bunch,

Randy

• 8 years later...

I thought this might be helpful to share for those using this older motherboard in their servers:

Upon updating my BIOS to the latest (2013) and Firmware (2013) the username/password default became root/superuser. A lot of online resources showed root/superuser as the username/password until I stumbled on this post and successfully logged in using admin/admin (not case sensitive). So thanks to you all and hope this small addition helps others.