If you do some searching, you'll find that some people say that SATA I, II or III are marketing ploys. Maybe there is some truth to this, I don't know, but supposedly, they are really all the same.

We discussed this a little bit in this thread.

I use SATA I cables in my unRAID built that I bought from MonoPrice and they work fine.

From what I understand, most hard drives do not write at speeds that a SATA III cable is rated at anyways, so at this point it doesn't make much of a difference what cable you were to use.

From what I understand, most hard drives do not write at speeds that a SATA III cable is rated at anyways, so at this point it doesn't make much of a difference what cable you were to use.

I'm not sure that is true.  Even though the data transfer to magnetic disk cannot achieve a sustainable 6Gb/s, I would hope that two SATA3 devices would be able to reach 6Gb/s on the cable between them.

I'm not sure that is true.  Even though the data transfer to magnetic disk cannot achieve a sustainable 6Gb/s, I would hope that two SATA3 devices would be able to reach 6Gb/s on the cable between them.

I'll give you that, I should have worded my sentence better. I was alluding to the point you made about the data transfer rates, but I didn't really do a good job at making that part clear.

OK, I ordered 4 - 7" "SATA II" cables.  pretty cheap on ebay but seller had a 99.6% rating and it's not like I was going to be out lots of money so I'd give it a shot.''

They came in today and other than just short, they are really narrow.  The width of the cable is probably 2/3 or less of the cables I have.  I was a little worried, but put them on the HD's that are going in the UnRAID server.  They seem to be fine.  I could copy from drive to drive at 100 MB/sec internally and 70's - 80's externally.  I haven't got those speeds in a while.