Can't see all dirs via SMB

Tomm

I'm trying to back up my media through SMB, but I can't see even half of my movies for some reason. I've applied the same permissions (775) on all of them, so that shouldn't be the issue. I've made a user, and gave him access to the share. 

In the picture below, I'm connected to the share using the user account through SMB. It stops at D, but lots of movies from A to D are also missing.

If anyone has any clue as to what might cause this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Schermafbeelding 2022-10-23 om 09.17.10.png

Edited by Tomm
3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Post diagnostics.

2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

...And what OS is the client computer running?

The client in the screenshot isn't relevant (it's the latest macOS). I wanted to back up our movies to our Synology NAS using SMB. I noticed that 90% of our movies are missing from the file explorer list, and tried accessing it via my mac to check if the problem was isolated to the Synology NAS (it wasn't).

We're currently making it work through rsync, which does work. I'd prefer not to use root privileges for this though.

Schermafbeelding 2022-10-23 om 17.10.44.png

tower-diagnostics-20221023-1714.zip

Edited by Tomm

You can correct this problem for this share by running the New Permissions tool  (Tools    >>>    New Permissions  )  on only the  data   User Share  (at this point).   This tool will fix both the owner and permissions at the same time.   It may take a while to run as it will 'fix' every directory and file in that share. 

Edited by Frank1940
5 hours ago, itimpi said:

Those permissions look wrong - they should all have ‘nobody’ as the user.   How did you copy them there?

Not sure what you mean by "copy"?

4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

You can correct this problem for this share by running the New Permissions tool  (Tools    >>>    New Permissions  )  on only the  data   User Share  (at this point).   This tool will fix both the owner and permissions at the same time.   It may take a while to run as it will 'fix' every directory and file in that share. 

I tried your suggestion, and the permissions do look the same now as on your screenshot. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Couldn't this be an SMB limitation?

Have a look at this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/macos-optimization-r2087/

That are some settings intended to fix some problems between Samba and MacOS.

Next thing that I noticed when looking at your diagnostics.  It appears that you might have two locations where you are storing Media files. 

image.png.1bdcfaa0c1cc724f4d1e8162d98ab725.png

The first tick share has a configuration which suggests that it might be media.  The second one is that share that your earlier screen capture of the GUI terminal shows.