Have to turn SMB shares to public to avoid the intermittent permission issues

I've been using UnRaid coming from a Windows server for about 20 days now. Recently just purchased the Pro key, but I've had issues with SMB shares the entire time. 

At first I thought it was me, but I'm realizing this is a major issue when it comes to UnRaid. 

The only solution I've found is to turn the share to Public. 

The errors I get randomly is when I'm trying to rename/move/delete files that are on the share from one of my windows machines or windows VM. Well, I have programs/scripts that run constantly working with the files, just like I would have on my Windows server. 

However, randomly I get "you don't have permission" or "can't delete/move/etc a file while it's in use" when I check the permissions, they are there and when the file "can't be moved because it's in use" I can go to another machine/use UnRaid file browsing gui/cli and move the file anyways. 

This was all trying to use the SMB security at secure and private. I've tried numerous threads, settings, changes, users, users on multiple machines. It boils down to UnRaid/Samba. So for now I'm going to just set these shares to public, but it feels like it kinda defeats the entire purpose of a file server. 

I'm to the point where I'd might have just went back to my Windows server if I hadn't spent the money on this license. 

Has anyone found any solutions or work around to these issues? Looking at the forums I mostly see dead ends, or suggestions to try that ultimately doesn't solve the issue. 

Edited by jlw_4049

Read through the PDF file in the first post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

This type of problem often occurs when the client computer gets logged in using the 'guest' account.  If you want to know how this can happen, read here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

(Remember that the above discussion is now nine years old and Microsoft has addressed a lot of SMB security issues since then.  Many of these are intended to prevent you from using 'guest'/public access.)

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Read through the PDF file in the first post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

This type of problem often occurs when the client computer gets logged in using the 'guest' account.  If you want to know how this can happen, read here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

(Remember that the above discussion is now nine years old and Microsoft has addressed a lot of SMB security issues since then.  Many of these are intended to prevent you from using 'guest'/public access.)

I appreciate the response. I have read those threads/posts probably 20 times at this point. I've watched spacevanders videos on the subject, I've set it up, re-set it up. 

I'm not logged in as a guest user

image.thumb.png.4cb8c533beeb47b4b45f3a0b8b6dc733.png

This is the same user that logs in from all of my machines

This here is the bug report I put in on the matter

Edited by jlw_4049
20 hours ago, jlw_4049 said:

This here is the bug report I put in on the matter

Sorry I did not get back to you quicker but I was out of town yesterday.  If this does not fix your problem, I will work with you to attempt to figure out what is going on. 

Three questions I have (to be answered only if you need additional help):

1. Are you using the Credential manager to log onto the server?
  2. Are you reasonably comfortable using the Linux GUI Terminal and the command line?   (I would think so since you used smbstatus to generate one of your exhibits...)
  3. Are you using Active Directory?
On 10/29/2022 at 7:14 AM, Frank1940 said:

Sorry I did not get back to you quicker but I was out of town yesterday.  If this does not fix your problem, I will work with you to attempt to figure out what is going on. 

Three questions I have (to be answered only if you need additional help):

1. Are you using the Credential manager to log onto the server?
  2. Are you reasonably comfortable using the Linux GUI Terminal and the command line?   (I would think so since you used smbstatus to generate one of your exhibits...)
  3. Are you using Active Directory?

No problem, I appreciate the responses! 
Before we go any further I wanted to link this comment here

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/windows-10-the-action-cannot-be-completed-because-the-folder-or-file-is-open-in-another-program-r2164/?do=findComment&comment=21368

from my bug report shared earlier in the thread. "dlandon" gave me some changes/commands that has seemed to solve the issue. This does make me wonder why the default smb settings we're not the ones he provided, because it seemed to quickly knock out the bug. 

However,
1) Yes I am using the credential manager

2) I'm pretty comfortable using it, I don't know every command, but I'm pretty adept when it comes to picking something up like that (I program in python)
3) No I'm not using Active Directory. Is this something that users should consider using? 

8 minutes ago, jlw_4049 said:

3) No I'm not using Active Directory. Is this something that users should consider using? 

No.   Active Directory is a component of Windows Server.   There are folks who want to use Unraid servers in conjunction with a Windows Server environment.  Recently, there are a fair number of issues that have cropped up.   Not quite sure why.  It might be that some changes in Samba are possibly the culprit.

As a point of disclosure, I have no experience with the Windows Server product line.   It seems that many of the larger setups are run by IT professionals who do nothing else.   Microsoft has a program to certify people for these positions.  See here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/certifications/mta-windows-server-administration-fundamentals/

Smaller organizations are a bit more on their own and I suspect this is where Unraid servers come into play with their lower licensing costs.