Hardware for my first unraid server

Peh

Hi all!

I am building my first unraid server which will replace my old Qnap NAS. Main goal for unraid server is to be Plex server + backup. Typically there will be 2-3 users streaming from plex simultaneously.

Parts that I chose:         Case - Fractal Design Node 304

Proc - Intel Core i3-12100

MOBO - Gigabyte H610I DDR4

RAM - 2x8 GB cheapest DDR4 sticks

Power supply - Corsair RM550x

HDD - 2x8 TB Ironwolf/ WD red (which is going to be cheaper) + 2x4 TB coming from my old NAS

What do you think? 

Would you recommend M.2 SSD for cache and how big?

Would you recommend some used 1050 NVIDIA gpu for plex transcoding or is onboard intel enough?

Would you recommend some other MOBO to support ECC memory? Which one?

Is UPS must have for unraid server?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Peh said:

Would you recommend some used 1050 NVIDIA gpu for plex transcoding or is onboard intel enough?

You can go either way but the iGPU is sufficient and many of us use that rather the expense (and additional power consumption) of a discrete graphics card.

1 hour ago, Peh said:

Is UPS must have for unraid server?

Highly, highly recommended but of course an unRAID server will run without being attached to a UPS.  Having a UPS will save you from unclean shutdowns and the resulting automatic parity checks on restart when your server loses power.

1 hour ago, Peh said:

Would you recommend M.2 SSD for cache and how big?

Size depends on how you intend to use the cache drive.  I personally have a 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD as a cache drive but I only use it for appdata storage and some downloads.  If you intend to cache writes to the array it may need to be bigger if you typically write large amounts of data to the array in a single data transfer.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, bucky2076 said:

I have the same case, and like it a lot. The MB you chose is a mini itx, I would go the next one up mATX as this will give you better expandability.

His list contains a Node 304, that only accepts mini ITX boards.

I'd agree on the advice to get a bigger case, e.g. a Node 804 running a mATX board - for better expandability, air flow and easier component access.

Just to do the follow up…

Bought everything on the list except the 2x 8 tb hdd, as I already had 2x4 tb, I bought another 2x4 tb, because if I bought 2x8 tb I would only get 4 tb more space and I would have to pay double the price…

Also bought the UPS…

Everything works fine and I am very happy with it…

I agree with node 804 being better option for expandability but I wanted small footprint for the case…

Also, followed tutorial mentioned above "iGPU is sufficient” and very happy with it, so I don’t think for my use case that I need dedicated GPU and reading about transcoding with 13th gen Intel being even more powerful if I need more power I can upgrade along the way…

Thank for all advice

One more question.... Did you enable remote access through My Servers in setting, because as I understand it, it links it to this account and how safe is it?

I s there another way to get remote access to your server and what would you recommend?

Thanks

seems like a good build... if you are happy. I do have the node 804 sorry about the bum steer. 

You can get remote access to your server much like any other service you may choose to engineer in remote access. The usual options apply, eg Wireguard VPN (reccomended), or use a domain with cloudflare with portforwarding on your router. 

I do use the plugin, and find it fine. I also use the above remote capabilities for fun.