Upgraded to 6.11.3, consolidated cache/pending move back / reboot disabled 1 disk.

RoTalk
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello Everyone,

I must've rushed to upgrade before finishing my process to remove 1 or 2 cache drives to replace it by a bigger nvme m2 drive.

After upgrading, rebooting, I noticed that when I logged into the GUI I had some red alerts stating couldn't write to some directory and I closed it without screenshot, later noticed 1-2 tings additional happening but after another reboot I noticed Disk5 being disabled.

I did quick smart check and all came back. Did extended check all clear, now being emulated.  I might also might have bumped or touched the wires or something might have happened when I removed 2 drives from the cache that were 1, ssd, and one a regular laptop drive and replaced with nvme m2.  So I checked the cables and re-secured them.

array_disks.thumb.png.340354d694081b90e19677deb79fe2c1.png

The extended SMART I inadvertently cancelled it when I clicked on Drive 5/and spun it down, I'm re-running the extended smart but also needed to know if I am good to go with the disk 5 rebuilt onto itself and because I'm new to unRaid I needed someone's opinion if there's more to my troubles.  I was about to follow the https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

process.

Hit me up if you have time and I'll cover coffee while checking my logs..  

Thanks,

Edited by RoTalk
Added SMART report.
  • RoTalk changed the title to Upgraded to 6.11.3, consolidated cache/pending move back / reboot disabled 1 disk.

I give up, I rebuilt 3 times so far, did parity and seems that I can screw up the drives on demand by just starting a VM and get errors.

I attached some fresh daigs and some screen shots.  I am waiting on a bigger drive to backup my entire server in case this goes all south.

One odd thing upon boot-up suddenly the unassigned drives show the 2-3 drives odd, but above show normal, might always be that the drives
are on the same connector and will swap cable just in case.

During checks, rebuilt I always did it in safe mode, or maintenance mode to be sure, I'm also wondering if there is a plugin issue at play and if others have had issues
with any that I should disable. 

1745277431_ScreenShot2022-11-14at9_24_58AM.thumb.png.656d866fb0141c98ec5e9c4b58edeacb.png1084736728_ScreenShot2022-11-14at9_32_45AM.thumb.png.b4c71332e13bc88ca336b52a52b29dda.png

Edited by RoTalk
15 minutes ago, RoTalk said:

I can screw up the drives on demand by just starting a VM and get errors.

This is a good clue:

-device '{"driver":"vfio-pci","host":"0000:09:00.0","id":"hostdev2","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x8"}' \

The SATA controller is being passed through to the Windows 11 VM, so when it's started Unraid will lose all the disks connected there, edit the VM and remove that device.

Not sure why that got check marked, but unchecked it...

I ended up deleting the VM and re-adding/connect it, but now my priority is to stop the array which is not doing it and every time I shutdown or reboot comes back with unclean reboot and might have an issue, I also noticed, that I did some ISO find in terminal and /mnt/user/<someshare> was returning file disk error etc, I'll just turn it off, and wait for my larger drive to show up and backup my entire /mnt/user/<shares*> before I mess around more..

Thanks again for the feedback on that..

1927545124_ScreenShot2022-11-14at10_13_52AM.png.50774aa01f0620e333647a3d187d0ce4.png