QNAP TR-004 with UNRAID (review)

MrGrey

I've been using the QNAP TR-004 with UNRAID for about 6 months. I searched for information before buying it and didn't find much, so I'm writing this...

I had a WD-DL4100 fail (not the drives, the "OS/NAS"). I did not recover any data from the WD drives, but that didn't matter because I always backup everything.

I believe (<-- take note of "believe") that when I first connected the TR-004 to UNRAID that it showed each, individual, drive within Unassigned Devices (UD). I wasn't interested in using the TR-004 as anything other than a RAID5 replacement for my WD-PIECE-OF-SHIT.

Configured as RAID5 and operating via UD (not part of the UNRAID array), it's been working perfectly. It "shares" better than it did via the WD software.

Don't try to use this as an XFS/UNRAID/array device; it works perfectly as a backup/additional storage device for me.

I'm not affiliated with QNAP or UNRAID. I find them both to be making good "stuff."

MrGrey.

• 7 months later...

I don't have the TR-002, but the TS-451. I installed Unraid as well, because it was really slow with the QNAP OS. Unraid works perfectly with the TS-451, but because of the very limited power I only use the QNAP as a Backup destination for my Main Server. Spin-Down worked out of the Box.