VM PASSTHRU VIDEO: AMD CARD AND UNRAID V6.11.2 OR V6.11.3 BLACK SCREEN...

PicPoc

Hello :)
I tried unraid v6.11.2 and 6.11.3 and my Windows 10 VM no longer works in passthru.
The screen is black, I have no possibility of seeing anything on the monitor connected to the AMD video card which works well under unraid v6.9.2.
The virtual machine works very well with noVNC but not in passthru!

Have you tested this version and used your VMs without problems?

I have two VMs, Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21, using my RX 6600XT and encounter no problem.

My server is on 6.11.2.

Is your MB configured to use legacy or UEFI boot? Did you vfio bind your GPU? Are you using a VBIOS?

Have you tried creating a new VM from scratch and see if that work just for troubleshooting purpose? Don't passthrough any device other than the GPU.

Edited by jfoxwu

Thanks for this reply ;)

12 minutes ago, jfoxwu said:

Is your MB configured to use legacy or UEFI boot? Did you vfio bind your GPU? Are you using a VBIOS?

-My VM is used with Legacy boot. May be it's a problem... I'gonna try with UEFI...

-vfio bind GPU : yes !

-No VBIOS because it'a an ATI video card, and it work on 6.9.2 without vbios

14 minutes ago, jfoxwu said:

Have you tried creating a new VM from scratch and see if that work just for troubleshooting purpose? Don't passthrough any device other than the GPU.

I didn't know that was possible. I will find out how to do it...

Thanks again for your help ;)

29 minutes ago, jfoxwu said:

I have to use VBIOS, or it won't work for me. You can simply download it from techpower up.

I downloaded the file, I only used it as it is on the site, without a patch: it still doesn't work.
I'm all the more surprised that under 692 I don't need vbios for the graphics card.

9 hours ago, jfoxwu said:

I am out of ideas. Did you by any chance jump through major updates like from 6.9.x directly to 6.11.x? I wonder if this is detrimental or not.

All I can think of is to start over with a fresh trial install and test the passthrough, unfortunately.

To avoid ending up with a machine and a system that would not be in phase with my needs, I tested the new OS as I went along. So it's always with new OS. I would have to test with 6.10 too... But unfortunately I didn't have time.

Anyway, thank you again for your help. ;)

I will test with different versions...

Hello
I tried unraid v6.11.2 and 6.11.3 and my Windows 10 VM no longer works in passthru.
The screen is black, I have no possibility of seeing anything on the monitor connected to the AMD video card which works well under unraid v6.9.2.

Can you get video on first boot of a new VM template? I get a black screen after tiano core I'm assuming when the drivers load.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have two VMs, Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21, using my RX 6600XT and encounter no problem.
My server is on 6.11.2.

What motherboard do you have?

Hello

Are you on an amd motherboard or Intel?

31 minutes ago, ryanm91 said:

But going back to 6.9.2 made it work again?

Yep'

17 minutes ago, ryanm91 said:

What motherboard do you have?

17 minutes ago, ryanm91 said:

Are you on an amd motherboard or Intel?

Intel X79 and HP8300CMT, I had tested with both and it was the same problem.

I have a similar issue with an older Radeon that works fine in 6.9.2 but breaks in 6.10 and later, with a black screen and one core pegged to 100% when the VM is up. If I use a OVMF VM it works ok but I don't really use those because they do not fully support VM snapshots. Plus it is a pain to switch a traditional bios windows VM install to UEFI.

• 9 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 3:01 AM, scorcho99 said:

I have a similar issue with an older Radeon that works fine in 6.9.2 but breaks in 6.10 and later, with a black screen and one core pegged to 100% when the VM is up. If I use a OVMF VM it works ok but I don't really use those because they do not fully support VM snapshots. Plus it is a pain to switch a traditional bios windows VM install to UEFI.

Sorry to bother you after one year, but I would like to ask have you dealed the issue, since I am also facing the same issue.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2023 at 11:08 AM, cyp909 said:

Sorry to bother you after one year, but I would like to ask have you dealed the issue, since I am also facing the same issue.

I am still on 6.9.2 at the moment. I plan to convert the VM to UEFI. There is a janky way to trick libvirt into taking snapshots with UEFI so I guess I'm stuck hacking it together since there seems to be no priority in fixing this. I'm not sure this solution will work for everyone.

I might also test using an nvidia card in place of the radeon.