Frigate on Unraid

DanielPT

53 minutes ago, DanielPT said:

But is it best to install Frigate in HA or in Unraid it self?

You can run the Frigate docker in either one. I think a lot of people run it on unRAID just because that machine has more horsepower.

43 minutes ago, DanielPT said:

does Frigate need a Google Coral card?

No. You can also use CPU for detection (that’s the default) but it’s my understanding it’s a real hog,

2 hours ago, DanielPT said:

I want to run a docker with Home assistant.

But is it best to install Frigate in HA or in Unraid it self?

If you intend to run HA as docker, then you have to run Frigate as a separate docker since the home-assistant-core does not have the add-on store.

You can use HACS to integrate HA and Frigate dockers.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, wgstarks said:

You can run the Frigate docker in either one. I think a lot of people run it on unRAID just because that machine has more horsepower.

No. You can also use CPU for detection (that’s the default) but it’s my understanding it’s a real hog,

I wanted to put this out there since coral is very hard to get, and impossible at retail price today.

This is my current server CPU usage (not using unRaid yet).  i5-8400, 4k cameras x2, and 1080p camera x1, running frigate, home assistant, and a dozen other things.

I will eventually get the coral, only because it will save me money in the long run.  I used to run blue iris.  For my use case I LOVE frigate, and home assistant.

Having tried both ways...  It is also my opinion that docker/bare metal is much preferred over a vm. 

Screenshot from 2022-11-21 09-29-35.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, air1kdf said:

I used to run blue iris.  For my use case I LOVE frigate, and home assistant.

Could you please elaborate a little more on BlueIris and why it didn't suit your needs?

I've tested BlueIris a few years back but haven't setup permanent camera's at that point.

Now I'm thinking of installing a permanent system in the near future and would appreciated your thoughts on the monitoring software.