How does unRAID write to cache? (Slow cache write, fast read, server freezes)

Hi everyone!

I'm having some issues with my server and I would like to ask if my assumptions are on the right track or how the OS handles write jobs.

Storage specs:

• 2x Toshiba P300 3TB (1x parity, 1x array disk)
  • WD Black 1TB (WD1002FAEX)
  • Samsung 640GB (HD642JJ)
  • Seagate Mobile 1TB (ST1000LM035)
  • Kingston A400 240GB (as cache drive) (not the best but faster then most HDDs still)
  • Array uses XFS, cache uses BTRFS

Docker folder is on the cache, appdata uses cache for writes.

I'm on 6.10.3.

I started to have issues when I started a torrent download to the cache drive in the beginning. My connection is 300Mb/s. During the first minute or 2, it was able to use the full bandwidth but then the iowait went up to 85-95%, the system nearly freezed, the download went down to the low 1-5MB/s. When it caught itself, the download went up again but down again and it kept doing the same for the rest of the download.

I then started to download to the array and it was not nearly as bad as the cache drive. (Turbo write was on)

I know that torrent downloads take up a lot of storage resources but it can't be that bad. I also know that it would be beneficial if the drives were the same specs.

I also did some transfer tests using a 5.56GB file on LAN with my MacBook on gigabit ethernet to minimize bottlenecks:

• Server (used drive: 1TB WD Black) -> MacBook: constant 60-80MB/s
  • MacBook -> Server (used drive: Seagate 1TB): Constant 100-110MB/s for the first ~10s, then varied between 50-80MB/s, sometimes dipped into the low 10-15MB/s for 0.5-1s rarely.
  • Server -> MacBook (used drive: Seagate 1TB): To benchmark the drive. Constant 70-80MB/s.
  • MacBook -> Server (used drive: Kingston SSD): Constant 120MB/s for the fist 10s, then dropped to 1-2MB/s for 15s, went up to 120 again for a few seconds then it didn't exceed 20MB/s (mostly 5-15). It stayed there for the rest of the copy.
  • Server (SSD again) -> MacBook: Constant 120-122MB/s (full gigabit) for the full transfer.
  • Tried MacBook -> Server (cache) again as it seemed quite bad but it did the same. 120MB/s for about 15-18s total randomly, then 18-22MB/s average for the rest of the transfer.
  • Next day, did the same test on the cache drive but maybe even worse. The average was about 10-15MB/s.
  • MacBook -> Server (used drive: Toshiba 3TB): Was similar to the cache drive but never dipped below 50MB/s, average was ~80.

Also tried transferring files on the local Windows VM but that was eeeven worse. Copying to the cache drive stopped multiple times and didn't exceed 10MB/s except the first 10sec which was 110-120.

Another test but this time on the terminal. From array to cache. First 10s was 200-210 but it dipped to 20-30MB/s and most of the time it stayed there.

What I have tried so far:

• New SATA cable
  • Balancing/srubing/checking filesystem on cache drive

My assumption is that the SSD needs to be replaced, my goal is to get some kind of NVMe drive.

Is it about right or what other tests can I perform?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by scania471
Spelling
  • scania471 changed the title to How does unRAID write to cache? (Slow cache write, fast read, server freezes)
4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Not really, this is one the slowest SSDs you can get, and they then to get slower with time, recommend getting a better one like the Crucial MX500 or Samsung 870EVO.

Oh that's disappointing. It's halfway through its life according to the written data. My plan is to get a Crucial P3 Plus 500GB as it costs the same here as the 500GB versions of both drives you mentioned. (My system is not capable for PCIe 4.0 yet but at least the drive will be capable of that)