Cache upgrade did not automatically invoke btrfs replace?

Kyle W
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I have a 500gb SATA SSD that was being utilized as a cache drive when I noticed an error stating that TRIM was not enabled. After some digging it sounds like it is because TRIM is not supported by the firmware version of my Dell H310 SAS card.

Rather than bother flashing/downgrading the firmware, I ordered and installed a 1tb NVMe drive to replace my cache pool and followed the procedure here:

After doing so, it doesn't appear that anything has been transferred from the old cache pool device to the new one. My Docker/VMs are all missing.

Any advice on how to transfer these? Attached diagnostics. Currently the old cache drive is unassigned.

I have not touched anything yet because I'm pretty new to working with Unraid, only having had this machine up and running for about two weeks. I found the Unassigned Devices plugin and thought that could be helpful for mounting the drive and copying the contents of the old cache, but please correct me if there's a better/more correct way.

Thanks!

Edit: doing some more digging, looks like my answer could be to use the command:

btrfs replace start -f /dev/sdX1 /dev/sdY1 /mnt/cache

Sourced from here:

Can anyone confirm before I execute? I think at this point I just need to figure out the device IDs (edit: I'm blind). Will I need the UD plugin for that command to work properly?

image.thumb.png.cbf13e13b525f343e815f498dd6c52bc.png

Looking at my devices it looks like I should be running:

btrfs replace start -f /dev/sdb /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/cache

Are there any other steps I'm missing, like disabling Docker and the VM manager? Should I leave the NVMe in the cache pool while running this command?

server-diagnostics-20221127-1852.zip

Edited by Kyle W
  • Kyle W changed the title to Cache upgrade did not automatically invoke btrfs replace?

Alright, I'll play around with it some more and see if I can get things back to where they were. I downloaded Dynamix File Manager to make a backup of the old cache on my array and will copy it to the new cache from there as well.

Thanks for all of your help!

Edit: it worked! All Docker/VMs restored and working!

Edited by Kyle W