New Server with Fresh Unraid Setup Crashes Intermittently

omeriko
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hardware used:

• Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO AX Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory
  • EVGA 450 BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

This is a fresh install of Unraid. There are no plugins, nor array and the HDD aren't in use

The server will crash intermittently - sometimes it'll crash during boot-time, before even getting into the login prompt. In other times, the server can run for an hour and a half before it crashes. I haven't noticed any patterns; it feels like a crapshoot.

The one time I was able to produce a crash on-demand was when I connecting the Ethernet cable to the box. That said, I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this behavior.

I tried to:

• Run memtest  - everything passed successfully
  • Upgrade BIOS to latest version and set the RAM to use XMP
  • Use a different USB flash drive
  • Remove all plugins and create a fresh installation
  • Check the hardware connections to make sure everything is plugged correctly

I'm attaching a diagnostics report pre-crash and a syslog post-crash.

I spent a lot of time googling and trying to self-diagnose the issue, but no dice. Any help is welcome

Thanks a bunch!

box-diagnostics-20221129-2105.zip syslog

Is this a new build server with all new parts?

First try @JorgeB's suggestion about the memory.   It is quick, easy to do and cheap to do.

Then try to setup the syslog server to see if it can capture what it happening at the moment of the Crash.  See here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-781601

Describe in more detail what happens in the "crash"?   Server lockup?  Server reboot?  Server shutdown? 

Now, in a new build that I did three-or-four years ago, I had a 'bad' new power supply create a similiar scenario.  (PS are no longer just a simple brick with AC power in and DC power out--- they also have electronics that talk with the MB!) 

Edited by Frank1940

Thanks for the prompt responses 🙏

Is this a new build server with all new parts?

Yes

Describe in more detail what happens in the "crash"?   Server lockup?  Server reboot?  Server shutdown? 

It's a server lockup - the machine is still running, but the server is frozen\hung.

I was able to run the server for 5 hours straight with just one memory stick. I'm currently running it with the other one and if it works smoothly, it means it's a mobo problem and I'll need to replace it.

I'll keep this post updated.

Thank you once again!

22 minutes ago, omeriko said:

I'm currently running it with the other one and if it works smoothly, it means it's a mobo problem and I'll need to replace it.

Or the memory is not compatible with the MB.  (Some MB's are quite picky about the memory modules being used.)   Also, make sure that you are not overclocking the RAM . 

Don't be afraid to use a fully configured Unraid server with only 16GB of RAM for an extended period of time to see if everything is truly stable.  (I don't believe that you would be using an i3 processor in a server where you are running Memory hogging software/VM's...)   In many cases, the extra RAM just ends up being a cache for disk writes.

Edited by Frank1940

Just to report back and close the thread - the server ran successfully with a single stick (either) in both DIMM slots.

As a last hurrah, before RMAing things, I tried to increase the voltage of the RAM from 1.2V to 1.35V and I'm happy to report that things look stable!

I'll give the server a week or so and if things remain stable, I'll probably just stick with this configuration.

Thanks for your help

Edited by omeriko
  • Like 1