How long between reboots?

I have an unRaid 4.7 box that has seen heavy use in the last few months without being shut down.  Lately it has been very sluggish when accessing files.  Sometimes you can wait over a minute before it responds to a directory listing, or a file request.

I shut it down and restarted it, and all is back to normal.  Is this expected behavior?

How long can you go between reboots?

Bugs are inevitable, but no, you shouldn't expect that kind of behavior.

There's no proper interval between reboots. This goes for any OS really, but especially unix-like/open OSs. Reboots are usually only necessary for hardware or major software changes. The exception is when something gets into trouble after a time, number of operations, or set of circumstances. It then becomes a call between troubleshooting and rebooting, depending on your comfort level, your support network, and how often and badly it's affecting you.

It's more difficult to troubleshoot after things are back to normal but the usual information would help. In general:

1) description of symptoms

2) things you've seen - errors, speeds, and how they were measured

3) system configuration (hardware & software)

4) syslog

5) list of modifications from normal (add-ons, other software)

6) any corrective steps you've taken and their effects

(See the wiki on troubleshooting: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting)

Back to the reboot question, if at all possible keep the system alive in its reduced state until those helping have a chance to ask questions. Live information helps to reduce guesswork.

Well it is rebooted, and running fine.  Can't remember if that erases the log file or not. 

Other than the long delay in accessing files, it seemed to perform well once it was reading and writing.  It was real puzzling.

If it does it again, I will call for help before rebooting.

I have an unRaid 4.7 box that has seen heavy use in the last few months without being shut down.  Lately it has been very sluggish when accessing files.  Sometimes you can wait over a minute before it responds to a directory listing, or a file request.

I shut it down and restarted it, and all is back to normal.  Is this expected behavior?

How long can you go between reboots?

Hey, I have seen this with my unRAID server also. Using 4.7 also. I notice when the server is up for several weeks or more there is some lag/delay when accessing/playing video files. Not sure what it could be and since it was never critical I never mentioned it.