Flash backup: Activated: Not up-to-date. Permission Denied.

Hi there,

I'm trying to upload a flash backup via My Servers plugin. This is the first time I'm trying this, so I don't have a working backup yet.

I have a Permission Denied error when I try to update the flash backup via Settings. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like both in Settings and in the My Servers dashboard.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm looking to upgrade to a newer version of unraid, but I'd like a backup just in case.

image.png

image.png

I'm also having the same issue. (Unraid 10.11.4)

I tried investigating the problem a little deeper and was able to find out that te issue might have something to do with a invalid ssh key. Unraid ist trying, in the background, to establish a ssh connection to their backup server but it gets prevented because of an invalid public ssh key. Therefore the 'permission denied' error.

On 12/31/2022 at 1:56 PM, Mathy said:

I tried investigating the problem a little deeper and was able to find out that te issue might have something to do with a invalid ssh key. Unraid ist trying, in the background, to establish a ssh connection to their backup server but it gets prevented because of an invalid public ssh key. Therefore the 'permission denied' error.

Sorry for the trouble folks. This is the exact issue, trying to track down why new users are getting this.

• 2 weeks later...

@count-zero @krh1009 @Mathy  I am still trying to track this down. Everything appears to be setup correctly on our end, but I can see that you and a handful of others are getting this Permission Denied error despite that.

Would you please open a web terminal and show the output from this command?

ssh -T [email protected]

If everything is working correctly you should see:

You have successfully authenticated over SSH but interactive shells are not supported here.
Unraid Flash Backup should have no issues connecting. Goodbye.

If you see something else, please show the output of this command in verbose mode:

ssh -T -v [email protected]

(I am trying to determine if it is getting blocked by our server or if perhaps there is a firewall that is preventing you from connecting with our server)

I got mine to work, I noticed that there was a warning sign next to my server name.  In the Space Invader video he tells you to run "unraid-api restart" I had to click "Sign out of Unraid.net",  then log-in back in Unraid.net and then run that command to restart the api.  The warning went away and I was able to get the cloud backup.

image.png.75d9373fcbd97db6dcd9d8963aebb2ec.png

@ljm42

When running

I get the following:

OpenSSH_9.1p1, OpenSSL 1.1.1s  1 Nov 2022

debug1: Reading configuration data /root/.ssh/config

debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config

debug1: Authenticator provider $SSH_SK_PROVIDER did not resolve; disabling

debug1: Connecting to backup.unraid.net [34.223.119.253] port 22.

debug1: Connection established.

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type 0

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa type 2

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ed25519 type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ed25519-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_xmss type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_xmss-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1

debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1

debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_9.1

debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_8.9p1 Ubuntu-3

debug1: compat_banner: match: OpenSSH_8.9p1 Ubuntu-3 pat OpenSSH* compat 0x04000000

debug1: Authenticating to backup.unraid.net:22 as 'git'

debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /root/.ssh/known_hosts2: No such file or directory

debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts: No such file or directory

debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts2: No such file or directory

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received

debug1: kex: algorithm: [email protected]

debug1: kex: host key algorithm: ssh-ed25519

debug1: kex: server->client cipher: [email protected] MAC: <implicit> compression: none

debug1: kex: client->server cipher: [email protected] MAC: <implicit> compression: none

debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY received

debug1: Server host key: ssh-ed25519 SHA256:hz1eeL5LRKm5o+ONM7NbW9AG0Eck/pZTP+0lMtqgQ3I

debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /root/.ssh/known_hosts2: No such file or directory

debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts: No such file or directory

debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts2: No such file or directory

debug1: Host 'backup.unraid.net' is known and matches the ED25519 host key.

debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:5

debug1: rekey out after 134217728 blocks

debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent

debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS

debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received

debug1: rekey in after 134217728 blocks

debug1: Will attempt key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa RSA SHA256:qrQCJaSMzPz+KvtNETdtzcBXGvuirnT0rGJn0SeUixw

debug1: Will attempt key: /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa ECDSA SHA256:UthcuLigI9bt/iSXPcNYx2kAMB/6/xJec4QXYuTnj0M

debug1: Will attempt key: /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk

debug1: Will attempt key: /root/.ssh/id_ed25519

debug1: Will attempt key: /root/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk

debug1: Will attempt key: /root/.ssh/id_xmss

debug1: Will attempt key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa

debug1: SSH2_MSG_EXT_INFO received

debug1: kex_input_ext_info: server-sig-algs=<ssh-ed25519,[email protected],ssh-rsa,rsa-sha2-256,rsa-sha2-512,ssh-dss,ecdsa-sha2-nistp256,ecdsa-sha2-nistp384,ecdsa-sha2-nistp521,[email protected],[email protected]>

debug1: kex_input_ext_info: [email protected]=<0>

debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey

debug1: Next authentication method: publickey

debug1: Offering public key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa RSA SHA256:qrQCJaSMzPz+KvtNETdtzcBXGvuirnT0rGJn0SeUixw

debug1: Offering public key: /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa ECDSA SHA256:UthcuLigI9bt/iSXPcNYx2kAMB/6/xJec4QXYuTnj0M

debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk

debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_ed25519

debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk

debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_xmss

debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa

debug1: No more authentication methods to try.

[email protected]: Permission denied (publickey).

@krh1009

I also have tried your solution but unfortunatly in my case it did not help.

After login out and back in and using

unraid-api restart

the terminal does not spit out any errors

Stopping 1 unraid-api process(es)...
Process(es) stopped!
Starting [email protected]

When looking in the "My Servers" plugin it is stuck in a restarting loop and after sometime it timeouts. Clicking on the error makes it try again without any luck.

image.png.4d80d8a0207bdd18ec2c93ba1c973a1a.png

23 hours ago, Mathy said:

When running

I get the following:

Interesting.  It is connecting to the right server but the authentication is all wrong.

Please send me a direct message with the following info. There may be some private data here so send it directly to me rather than posting here in the forum.

• Open a web terminal and run these commands, then copy/paste everything to the message:
ls -al /root
ls -al /root/.ssh/
cat /root/.ssh/config
cat /root/.ssh/unraidbackup_id_ed25519.pub

Thanks

Thanks for sending that information @Mathy

The issue is that at some point you commented out the authentication information for backup.unraid.net in .ssh/config

To fix this, on your flash drive, edit the config/ssh/root/config file and remove the # from the front of these three lines:

#Host backup.unraid.net
#IdentityFile ~/.ssh/unraidbackup_id_ed25519
#IdentitiesOnly yes

Or delete the lines entirely and our script will add them back in.

edit: in our next release we will recover from this automatically

Yep. That was the fix for me (Atleast for the backups).

Huge thanks!

I can now sleep well knowing that everything is backed up.

(I modified this file a while back because i was trying to make the ssh connections to my server much more limited. My bad 😅)

There still seems to be the problem with the "My Servers" tab thou. I have restarted the api but it persists.

image.png.56cf47504b35eb9dbc38660c53170176.png

@Mathy The "unexpected token" message generally means you are accessing the server via a URL that it is not configured to use. I'm excited to say that this error message will be much improved in the next My Servers plugin release.

Open a web terminal and run:
  unraid-api report -vv
In the ALLOWED ORIGINS area of the report it will list out the configured urls, you need to use one of those url to access your server. Specifically note that  reverse proxy urls are not listed there and are not supported.

45 minutes ago, Mathy said:

I get it. When using, for example, a local ip instead of my hostname the error disappears as you say.

Thank you once more for your help!

From your diagnostics, your [servername] is "Threadripper", your [LocalTLD] is "local" and Use SSL is set to "yes". So your url is:

https://[servername].[LocalTLD]

or more exactly:

https://Threadripper.local

That url should be listed in your ALLOWED_ORIGINS, right? So that url should work without an "unexpected token" error.

What url are you trying to use that gives an "unexpected token" error?

Note that you can adjust your [servername] on the Settings -> Identification page and [LocalTLD] on Settings -> Management Access.  LocalTLD should not be blank.

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

I get the error when using my domain (bound to public ip) and accesing my server from outside of my local network. Each request first goes to NginxProxyManager and from their it gets redirected to the Unraid dashboard. This url ist not listed in "ALLOWED_ORIGINS".

OK NPM is a reverse proxy, which we don't yet support.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 3:37 PM, ljm42 said:

@count-zero @krh1009 @Mathy  I am still trying to track this down. Everything appears to be setup correctly on our end, but I can see that you and a handful of others are getting this Permission Denied error despite that.

Would you please open a web terminal and show the output from this command?

ssh -T [email protected]

If everything is working correctly you should see:

If you see something else, please show the output of this command in verbose mode:

(I am trying to determine if it is getting blocked by our server or if perhaps there is a firewall that is preventing you from connecting with our server)

Just want to circle back to this thread and say that it looks like everything is working as expected now. Seems like whatever issue was present cleared up in the time that I forgot about this thread and then remembered to check in here. Thanks for the assistance!

On 3/1/2023 at 6:55 PM, Beaniiman said:

I still get this error and everything I have tried does not work.  I cleared out that file, still nothing.  Any other ideas?

Based on the timing of your question, I am thinking this is an artifact of the recent account changes:
  https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-net-account-upgrades

Would you please uninstall and reinstall the My Servers plugin? Your system might be using an older cached copy of some javascript, this will force it to get the latest. Then you can sign back in and try the backup.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I'm experiencing this issue as well. I'm running the latest version of Unraid Connect (2023.09.08.0637). The Unraid Connect's flash backup section says "Activated: Not up-to-date" with "Permission Denied" below it. I was following through what @Mathy and @ljm42 and get "[email protected]: Permission denied (publickey)" when I run 'ssh -T [email protected]'. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the plugin but still get the same error. I tried to select 'update' from the plugin's flash backup section from both my server URLs without any luck. 

All of that said, I'm not seeing the same token error from my GUI like @Mathy was. My connect says "Connected" with a green checkmark.

Help from the group would be greatly appreciated.