[Resoled]USB Booting issues with P7H55-M LX motherboard

My board has suddenly stopped from booking from USB. It worked fine yesterday and today I had to upgrade the firmware of one of my Samsung drive, so I plugged a different USB in, and it worked fine. Then I put the unRaid usb back in and now it will not boot. I either get a flashing cursor, or please insert a proper boot device. I already set all to defaults, I tried USB setting to AUTO, HDD, CDROM and FORCED FDD all did not work. I am at my witts end. Any suggestions. I have now rebooted several times. The USB is in the boot menu list, however it will not load unRaid. I also tried the usb key I used for the Samsung drive and that suddenly no longer works. Please help

I have upgraded the usb key to unRaid 5 Beta 8d however in the boot menu it's showing the usb key as it always has done. I selected Removable Dev as primary boot device and also pressed F8 to select the USB, however I only ever get the Flashing cursor when I do that. Same when I selected by Dos boot USB key also only flashing cursor. Extremely annoying. Already must have booted 40 times with the same results.

More info would me nice,, now it's just guessing

which version of unraid do you use? ,, if you use the free version.? try a fresh clean install of the 5.08d with another usb stick?

just trying to check some thing so we can rule them out, and locating the orginal problem

The USB boot stick works on another pc without issues so it must be motherboard/bios related

It's possible that it's broken ,, but then in most cases no power at all of anything trough a usb.

does your USB stick have a led ? does it blinks while it's booting?

is it with every usb port?  

but i you only flashed the firmware of a samsung drive and took the unraid stick out,,

put it back,, did not change anything , and it would not boot? ,, i'm out of idea's

Have to get into the game I suppose...

Of course you've tried different USB ports? Mainly, I'd be trying ports on the board, at the back. Others may not be providing as much power or have other issues that cause errors as soon as real IO begins. Similarly, if you have a powered hub, try it there.

The fact it works on another system may just mean the other system provides more power, less noise, or is playing better music. The fact another drive works in the same position may just mean it needs less power, or is less susceptible to the conditions that cause problems for this stick.

Why the problem would begin now is anyone's guess. Sticks do degrade and fail, and they're exposed to more ESD when being moved between systems.

This is strange enough that it's more about trying different things to see what happens vs. coming up with anything definite. Better to try things and see before shooting ideas down, even with the best of logic.

Yep, if the stick will boot in another system then options are running out. I misunderstood something earlier in the thread and thought it would still boot from the DOS stick, so I was going to suggest a memory test. But if you can't boot from anything USB, well, CD drive or nevermind. I would try one last shot with all drives and USB headers disconnected. Dead hardware can drag down a system and it's on the way to removing the motherboard anyway. Beyond that you've hit everything reasonable.

It's getting stranger. When I disconnected the AOC-SASLP-MV8 it was showing the unRaid USB under HDDs and was able to put it as boot device but with SaS AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller and 6 drives it only shows 12 drives and not the USB stick so back to beginning. At least I know that USB works on motherboard but don't know how to fix this issue now. So maybe the bios can only address 12 drives and the usb is one too many.