Windows 10 Explorer 'Windows cannot access \\UNRAID-01' (SMB v1 Enabled)

SLRist
Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

I should say at the outset that I've already tried this fix, but it didn't fix my issue:

All of my 5 unRAID servers are set up the same - just sharing video ISO files - no VMs or Dockers. All are running v6.11.5. All running on HP Proliant Microservers (N36L, N40L etc.) with 8GB RAM installed.

I can see all servers listed in Windows (10) Explorer. Windows 10 has SMBv1 enabled.

2022-12-30_02-25-31.png.30a4b74785d38ac22a3e0b7ea5f877a6.png

For three of them (UNRAID-02, UNRAID-03, UNRAID-04), I can click on that server and see and access all the shares - e.g:

\\UNRAID-02

2022-12-30_02-39-49.png.457ea798f23df39bb24d090e40193ec1.png

On the two problematic servers (UNRAID-01, UNRAID-05) - when I click on the server name in Windows Explorer, after some delay I get the following error message, and clicking [Diagnose] reveals no identification of the problem.

2022-12-30_02-46-25.png.11ababb4a0a66e6d571a22ca1eebafff.png

These are some relevant settings I have on one of the problematic servers. As far as I can see, these settings are all the same as on the other machines whose shares work as expected. All shares have SMB security set to 'Public'.

Any suggestions what might be wrong?

2022-12-30_02-17-31.thumb.png.99a17a6c65af4efd4706375c6e377d14.png

2022-12-30_02-21-38.thumb.png.f00e868fd7309b090192f1f80ade41bb.png

Example share:

2022-12-30_02-24-09.thumb.png.edd02b054c7f0bb65fc86328297d3df8.png

Edited by SLRist
Clarification
  • SLRist changed the title to Windows 10 Explorer 'Windows cannot access \\UNRAID-01' (SMB v1 Enabled)
  • Solution

Not an uncommon problem.  One thing to consider is that Windows 10 (and 11) versions now prevent (by default) establishing a connection to a server using 'Guest' type credentials.  You have to have a credential (login) to access a server.  (Count on SMB to be inconsistent in its behavior...)   Plus, MS wants to prevent you from using SMBv1---Period!

One thing I would suggest is to stop trying to stop fighting MS.  Embrace their want/need to bring some semblance of security to SMB.  Look at the first post this thread and set things up to make Windows happier with what you are doing:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/#comment-1009109

By the way, the only real reason to use SMBv1 is if you have a piece of hardware so old (media boxes for the 2010 era) that they don't support SMBv2.   I know that the 'Network' section of Windows Explorer does not get populated when you turn off SMBv1 but that is what the 'Network Neighborhood' is for.  (It also appears that the Network section Of Windows Explorer is populated with the Unraid servers when the Credential Manager establishes its 'login' to the Unraid servers as the Windows boots up--- at least that is my experience.)

One more thing---  I now suspect that MS now considers Peer-to-Peer networking to the 'natural child' of SMB.  They want you to use the Windows Server software and Active Directory (AD).   And I believe you need a degree/certificate from MS to be able to set up this type of Network!

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, SLRist said:

Many thanks. Actually, I do have an old Dune media streamer that still needs SMBv1, but I will take a look through your suggested post and see what I can do. I might need to just ditch that media player and replace it with another Zappiti.

Recent versions of Unraid will not install (?)/enable SMBv1 IF it is a new install.  IF it is a update from an earlier version of Unraid where SMBv1 was enabled, SMBv1 will still be available.  However, you can still set up Unraid shares as 'Secure'  and SMBv1 device will still have read access to the files.  That way you can make both MS and the Dune player happy.  (I hope you are realizing that you don't want to make anything except those files that SMBv1 devices will access be available via a 'Guest' access account.)

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, SLRist said:

I might need to just ditch that media player and replace it with another Zappiti.

Another option might be to use a Windows Mini/Micro computer and run KODI on it.  (These computers start at $200US.  Even the cheap ones have more than enough performance.  Do check on the Video Chip specs if you are planning on running 4K streams.)   I also use a mysql Docker for the KODI database (which is stored on an always-on SSD cache drive) which can be accessed from any of the five computers whic have KODI installed.  This means that any of the KODI installs always have the most current database for all the media on my server.  This also means I only have to update the database once as new media is added.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I should update the status of this issue - it seems that saved Windows credentials were causing the issue. I deleted these using Control Panel / Credential Manager / Windows Credentials (Windows 10) and at the top, where server credentials are listed, simply clicked on the UNRAID server concerned and selected 'Remove'

Once I had done this, all the shares under that server were once more browsable under Windows Explorer. This works even with NetBIOS disabled under SMB settings.

Edited by SLRist