Suggested version for new server - 4.7 or 5?

I actually think new users are good candidates for a beta. First, you have no data to lose. Second, you don't trust unRaid to protect your data yet, and will make the system prove to you that it is doing what it's supposed to. Third (selfishly) it helps the community to have as many people banging on the betas. But if you do decide to go with the beta, you have to diligently read the announcement threads to keep up with known problems, workarounds, and plans. If you're not willing to do that go with the release version.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a server that will be reliable and easy to configure but lacks certain features (such as AFP), then choose 4.7.  If you have a desire for the features in the latest beta and you don't mind updating your server's software fairly frequently, taking careful steps to troubleshoot and document problems, and keeping a backup copy of your data elsewhere, then the beta might be right for you.

I personally run 4.7 on my production server (the one that actually stores the data I care about), and both 4.7 and the latest beta on my various test servers.

I agree with Rajahal.

I keep my production server on 4.7 and I have another machine I tinker with on the Betas.

Call me a chicken if you will, but I'd rather play with play data than my real data.

However there is nothing wrong with the Beta Builds, but I have all my eggs in one basket if you know what I mean. ;)