Very fatal error from my side

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I created a very big error.

My array has Parity, Disk 1, Disk3 and Disk 4.

Disk 3 had a cross and was disabled. So i corrected the cables etc, and then connected back the disk

I unassigned the disk and was planning to re assign the disk to disk 3 but mistakenly assigned it disk 2 and started the array, I got the message that the disk was being cleared. I quickly stopped the array. :(

What can I do now? To minimise my data loss. I know I have messed up bigtime.

unraid.png

I think you may be lucky this time around as you were going to need to rebuild disk3 anyway so damaging it’s contents is not fatal, and the ‘clear’ operation would not have affected parity.

What I suggest you do is:

• stop the array (if not already stopped).
  • use Tools->New Config and select the option to preserve all current assignments.   This minimises the chance of a mistake correcting assignments.
  • return to Main tab and unassigned disk2 and assign it to disk3 (I.e. how it was meant to be)
  • tick the parity is valid check box to stop Unraid trying to rebuild parity.
  • start the array to commit the assignments
  • stop the array
  • unassign disk3.   Unraid should now tell you that disk3 will be emulated if you start the array.
  • start the array.   Ideally the emulated disk3 should now mount and show its contents.

at this point I suggest you take a copy of your system’s diagnostics and post them here before proceeding further.   If all looks good you will be told to go through the normal rebuild process for disk3, but the diagnostics will allow us to confirm that is the best next step.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

No need to do a new config, as long as the clear didn't yet finish, just stop the array, unassign disk2, assign it to the disk3 slot, start array to begin rebuilding.

Hell yeah this seems to be working! I am so relieved. I wanted to kick myself for being lazy to not set disk 1, 2 and 3 when I originally shrunk the array. 

Thanks a ton guys. Unraid and unraid support rocks!