Totally stuck with unexplained random server crashes

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Good morning, new to posting so apologies in advance for missing info.  I have searched high and low don't know where start with my issues.

My server has been functionally going off line seemingly randomly.  it started with the server staying on and the web GUI still accessible, but all the shares disappear (see attached, error in corner says "array undefined".  to my knowledge no heavy reads or writes happen when this occurs.  when i go to reboot it hangs and i have to hard restart.  sometimes only my docker containers will go offline and the array will stay online.  now i just cant get half my docker containers to start.  any help or guidance is greatly appreciated! (server specs below) 

here are the things i have done so far.

-updated everything

-run long form memtest

-multiple parity checks

-installed "fix common problems" (no real issues)

-reseated all hardware (drives, ram, cpu, power cables)

-looked for obvious errors in logs (may have missed something im not a great log whisper)

server specs

- i7-4790

-16gb RAM

-gigabyte z87x-ud5h-cf

-2x 3TB HDD

-4TB Parity Drive

-250GB SSD Cache

-1TB unassigned drive (not used)

Services

Docker

-heimdall

-krusader

-noip

-pihole

-plex

-speedtest-tracker

-unifi-controller

-uptimekuma

-watchtower

VM

-home assistant (2core, 4GB RAM)

2022-12-02 17_13_27-.jpg

14 minutes ago, gbcayce said:

im using the baked in memtest, is there another more through version?

You can get a more recent version from the memtest86.com site.  For licencing reasons this cannot be included with Unraid, but it is free for personal use.   Not sure if does more thorough testing but it would not hurt to try and it can test EEC RAM properly which the Unraid version does not as I understand it.

i just logged in to shut down the server and now i have this new weirdness....

the gui still is responsive, docker is frozen (nothing loads on that tab).  the containers are frozen (pihole will not load).  and the CPU on a number of cores is pegged.  attached are logs and screen grab.  before i shut this down is there anything i should look for?

uptime is at 7 days 14.5 hrs

418932969_2023-01-0614_49_24-Tower_DashboardMozillaFirefox.thumb.jpg.91b1ebd2f486a4c18a4d8ca30766d4e9.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20230106-1450.zip

• 2 weeks later...