Server Upgrade

Im about to embark on upgrading both the CPU (from an E5-2670 to a E5-2697 v2) along with upgrading the HBA (from an IBM M1015 to a HP HBA H220 LSI-9207-8i) and the HP 24 Port Expander (to an Intel RES2SV240 Exapnder).

I read somewhere that upgrading the HBA/Expander may, in certain circumstances, cause issues with the disks, especially Megaraid models. Is this something to be aware of?

Also, I assume, having read various posts, that to upgrade the CPU, all that I need to do for a successful swap, is to remove any CPU pinning that are set currently, replace the CPU, then set the pinning back albeit having 12 cores instead of 8 after the swap.

After the above swap outs, I will be replacing 3 of the smaller drives, which have been spinning for 7 years, with a larger drive, then swapping the Parity drive (14TB) for a larger one (20TB), and reusing the existing Parity drive in the Array to give me more space.

Any recommendations on the best way to do these swaps, or any gotcha's I may encounter? Or even any hints and tips on the best way to approach this mammoth task?

16 minutes ago, apefray said:

I read somewhere that upgrading the HBA/Expander may, in certain circumstances, cause issues with the disks, especially Megaraid models. Is this something to be aware of?

The 9207 is not Megaraid and IT mode only, if the one you were using was also in IT mode it's plug and play.

• 2 weeks later...

@JorgeB

I've now done the upgrade, but am a little confused as to why diskspeed is showing the following on the controller:

SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2

Super Micro Computer Inc (Broadcom / LSI)
Serial Attached SCSI controller

Type: Onboard Controller
Current Link Speed: (downgraded) width (ok) ( max throughput)
Maximum Link Speed: 8GT/s width x8 (7.88 GB/s max throughput)

Why would it show the Current Link Speed as dowgraded?

Diskspeed also reports the following:

Slight variations between runs and minor improvements in all drives being read at once vs a single drive is normal.
The average difference between the single drive and all drive read speeds is 1.0%
Your controller is not bottle-necking.

Which suggests the controller and SAS expander are working, as previously, before the upgrade, it was shown as 'Bottle Necked' just not sure why it shows the Current Link speed as downgraded.

The controller is in:

PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2, Blue) from CPU_BSP1

The expander is in:

PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE4, Blue) from CPU_BSP1

With an Nvidia 1050 TI graphics card in:

PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE3, Blue) from CPU_BSP1

Edited by apefray

As requested:

lspci -d 1000: -vv
03:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Onboard SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: I/O ports at e000
        Region 1: Memory at fba40000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Region 3: Memory at fba00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Expansion ROM at fb900000 [disabled]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [68] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 4096 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+ SlotPowerLimit 0W
                DevCtl: CorrErr+ NonFatalErr+ FatalErr+ UnsupReq+
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ FLReset-
                        MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s <64ns
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes, Disabled- CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s (downgraded), Width x8
                        TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range BC, TimeoutDis+ NROPrPrP- LTR-
                         10BitTagComp- 10BitTagReq- OBFF Not Supported, ExtFmt- EETLPPrefix-
                         EmergencyPowerReduction Not Supported, EmergencyPowerReductionInit-
                         FRS- TPHComp- ExtTPHComp-
                         AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis- LTR- 10BitTagReq- OBFF Disabled,
                         AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
                LnkCap2: Supported Link Speeds: 2.5-8GT/s, Crosslink- Retimer- 2Retimers- DRS-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance Preset/De-emphasis: -6dB de-emphasis, 0dB preshoot
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete- EqualizationPhase1-
                         EqualizationPhase2- EqualizationPhase3- LinkEqualizationRequest-
                         Retimer- 2Retimers- CrosslinkRes: unsupported
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed: No such device
                Not readable
        Capabilities: [a8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=16 Masked-
                Vector table: BAR=1 offset=0000e000
                PBA: BAR=1 offset=0000f000
        Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr-
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, ECRCGenCap- ECRCGenEn- ECRCChkCap- ECRCChkEn-
                        MultHdrRecCap- MultHdrRecEn- TLPPfxPres- HdrLogCap-
                HeaderLog: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
        Capabilities: [1e0 v1] Secondary PCI Express
                LnkCtl3: LnkEquIntrruptEn- PerformEqu-
                LaneErrStat: 0
        Capabilities: [1c0 v1] Power Budgeting <?>
        Capabilities: [190 v1] Dynamic Power Allocation <?>
        Capabilities: [148 v1] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
                ARICap: MFVC- ACS-, Next Function: 0
                ARICtl: MFVC- ACS-, Function Group: 0
        Kernel driver in use: mpt3sas
        Kernel modules: mpt3sas

Slight correction to yesterdays post as per:

The controller is in:

PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2, Blue) from CPU_BSP1

The expander is in:

PCI Express 3.0 x 4 Slot (PCIE6, White) from CPU_BSP1

(As the expander only require's power)

With an Nvidia 1650 TI graphics card in:

PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE4, Blue) from CPU_BSP1

(As the graphics card takes up two slots, 3 & 4)

(PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE5, Blue) from CPU_AP1, cannot be used as Im not using a 2nd CPU currently.)

Motherboard.JPG

It makes me wonder if I should remove the graphics card, and put the controller in PCIE 4 as according to the BIOS, you can control both the link speed and width on:

PCIE3 & PCIE4 Link Width This allows you to select PCIE 3 & PCIE 4 Link Width.

PCIE3 & PCIE4 Link Speed This allows you to select PCIE 3 & PCIE 4 Link Speed.

Edited by apefray