Change disk locations, numbering

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

• Solution

Since you only have single parity it is possible to re-arrange the order of the drives without invalidating parity.   This would not have been true if you had parity2 as that uses the slot number of part of its calculations.

• Use the New Config tool and select the option to retain all current assignments.  If you did not use this then Unraid would complain when you tried to move drives to new slots.
  • return to the main tab and make the changes you want to move the array drives up in slot number.
  • tick the parity is already valid checkbox
  • start the array to commit the changes

the drives should come up with all their data intact and in the new slots, and Unraid should not be recalculating parity.

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Hey Guys,

I'm struggling with this same problem - Feel like i'm following all of @itimpi's instructions here (also found this method elsewhere) - but whenever i move the drive i want to relocate to another slot i get 'invalid expansion' 'You may not add new disk(s) and also remove existing disk(s).' - just trying to relocate a drive from disk 5 to disk 7 to match a physical move i had to make in my case.

Any help greatly appreciated.

22 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You are not doing the new config, at least not correctly, make sure you click apply.

I'm such an idiot, feel like i tried this at least a dozen times - i'm such an idiot - was selecting 'yes i want to do this' then clicking 'done' - didn't even register 'apply' - thanks for your help

• Like 1