When moving files from my Linux 19 pc to teh samba share on my server I randomly get a timeout error.

Being fairly new to both linux and Unraid I am not sure which system it is I need to be looking at to find what causes the error.

As I said in the tag line. I have currently a number of files in folders on my pc that runs on Linux 19 (will upgrade soon to 21) 

The PC is part of my network which runs on Unraid (screenshot attached)

I am in the process of putting my DVD collection on my server to be able to watch anything anywhere using Plex. However, I do this on the PC and then have to transfer the files to the samba share. Randomly it will error during the transfer and as of yet I have not been able to determine what exactly causes the time-out.

The strange thing is if I try the same file transfer again it sometimes times out again or it might go uninterrupted.

Being new to both systems I have found that it is possible that the system has an SMB value of smb1 and I could up that to SMB3 but the command that I have found that should enable me to change the smb.conf file gives a command not found in my terminal

Any help (in layman's terms) would be greatly appreciated. 

I do want to very much learn the right way to do things and have my system run smoothly

Screenshot from 2023-01-26 00-59-08.png

Screenshot from 2023-01-26 01-12-07.png

Screenshot from 2023-01-26 01-16-38.png

On 1/26/2023 at 12:15 PM, JorgeB said:

Not seeing anything relevant logged, suggesting the problem might no be on the Unraid side, do you have another client you could test with, like a Windows desktop or laptop?

i have windows surface. Ill see if I can move files from that to the sambashare 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:15 PM, JorgeB said:

Not seeing anything relevant logged, suggesting the problem might no be on the Unraid side, do you have another client you could test with, like a Windows desktop or laptop?

File transfer on laptop running linux mint cinnamon 21.1 is instant. Suggesting it is indeed the linux pc running linux 19 causing the issue.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Phil Ash said:

File transfer on laptop running linux mint cinnamon 21.1 is instant. Suggesting it is indeed the linux pc running linux 19 causing the issue.

after fresh install Linux 21 Cinnamon Vera on PC the connection to my unraid server still has the same time-out error it randonly had before under Linux 19. I am at a loss. What can be causing this? There is nothing in the logs that shows anything untowards. Is there something simple I am missing?

Is there any chance you are filling up the cache during these transfers?   You have the Minimum Free Space setting for the cache set to 0 which would stop the transfer bypassing the cache if it gets full.   Ideally you want this to be set to at least the size of the largest file you expect to transfer.