Copying data from ReadyNAS (or QNAP, etc) to unRAID

Just thought I'd contribute back to the community that's helped me so much already.

I have a ReadyNAS NV+.  Sure it's a few years old but it's served me well.  I wanted to transfer that data to my unRAID.  I setup an Rsync job in the ReadyNAS FrontView web gui, let it go overnight, and came back to find it not too far along.  I didn't know why it was so slow since copying from my FreeNAS to my new unRAID box (over rsync) was fairly quick.  I enabled SSH on the ReadyNAS (which btw, will void support until you wipe your ReadyNAS), ssh'd in and ran the rsync manually.  I found it was copying at 3mb/s!! 

I contacted support through Twitter and they informed me that rsync was very processor intensive and that the old ReadyNAS's were slow with it.  They recommended trying cp which works but has no verification.  So here's what I did...

1.) SSH into the unRAID

2.)

mkdir /mnt/ReadyNASMount

3.)

mount <IPADDRESS>:/ReadyNAS /mnt/ReadyNASMount

4.)

rsync -av --stats --progress /mnt/ReadyNASMount/ /mnt/user/ReadyNAS-1/

(ReadyNAS-1 is the new share on my unRAID)

I'm getting between 10-20mb/s now having rsync running on the much faster unRAID box.  Just thought I'd pass it along in case others were looking to migrate data over.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just thought I'd contribute back to the community that's helped me so much already.

I have a ReadyNAS NV+.  Sure it's a few years old but it's served me well.  I wanted to transfer that data to my unRAID.  I setup an Rsync job in the ReadyNAS FrontView web gui, let it go overnight, and came back to find it not too far along.  I didn't know why it was so slow since copying from my FreeNAS to my new unRAID box (over rsync) was fairly quick.  I enabled SSH on the ReadyNAS (which btw, will void support until you wipe your ReadyNAS), ssh'd in and ran the rsync manually.  I found it was copying at 3mb/s!! 

I contacted support through Twitter and they informed me that rsync was very processor intensive and that the old ReadyNAS's were slow with it.  They recommended trying cp which works but has no verification.  So here's what I did...

1.) SSH into the unRAID

2.)

mkdir /mnt/ReadyNASMount

3.)

mount <IPADDRESS>:/ReadyNAS /mnt/ReadyNASMount

4.)

rsync -av --stats --progress /mnt/ReadyNASMount/ /mnt/user/ReadyNAS-1/

(ReadyNAS-1 is the new share on my unRAID)

I'm getting between 10-20mb/s now having rsync running on the much faster unRAID box.  Just thought I'd pass it along in case others were looking to migrate data over.

I have the same issue over here. And added to that: every backup is failing after so many hours. So i will punch a hole in the firewall at the remote ready nas duo site and try this ...

Will get back to it when the hole is punched!