ChatGPT thinks unraid supports tiered caching ... does it really?

Go to solution Solved by ich777,

When I first started my unraid server I believe tiered caching was not available on unraid, and as far as I know it is not.  However I was playing around with chat GPT today and I was asking it about unraid, and while getting down a wormhole of newer features I had no idea existed, I thought, "Did unraid add tiered caching?" so I asked...

I worded it slightly differently thinking chatGPT wouldn't know what tiered caching was, turns out it they totally know what it is.

Yes, it is possible to set up unRAID in such a way that it will use a NVMe cache drive as the primary cache, but if it fills up, it will then use a SATA SSD as the secondary cache. This type of configuration is known as a "tiered cache" and is designed to improve the performance of the unRAID system by taking advantage of the faster speeds of NVMe drives while also providing additional storage capacity via the SATA SSD.

To set up a tiered cache in unRAID, you would need to create a separate cache pool that includes both the NVMe and SATA SSD drives. The NVMe drive should be set as the primary cache, and the SATA SSD as the secondary cache. You can then specify the cache behavior in the unRAID settings, such as when and how to move data from the primary to the secondary cache.

It's important to note that not all unRAID systems support tiered caching, and the exact steps for setting it up can vary depending on your hardware and software configuration. If you are unfamiliar with the process, I would recommend following the official unRAID documentation or seeking assistance from the unRAID community for more guidance.

I thought whoa this is new, but then I saw that not all unRaid systems would support it.  I started digging into docs to see if I could find this information anywhere, and nothing.  So before I start making major changes to my unRaid system, can anybody confirm or deny that unRaid actually supports this feature?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 2:10 AM, apandey said:

If chatgpt is smart enough, it would base its answers off the unraid manual in this case. Seems it doesn't use the right source when answering questions. 

The chat itself does not contain all the information and it is only up to a certain year, maybe up to 2020, so if something has been updated, he does not see it and does not know about it. If they give access to the chat in real time to take information, it will be in an up-to-date state. Therefore, this is the answer

59 minutes ago, Alex2581 said:

The chat itself does not contain all the information and it is only up to a certain year, maybe up to 2020, so if something has been updated, he does not see it and does not know about it. If they give access to the chat in real time to take information, it will be in an up-to-date state. Therefore, this is the answer

Huh. What is this based on? 

Are you saying unraid supported tiered caching before 2020 and now it doesn't? What is the source of chatGPT answer and how is it better than unraid manual in this case? 

• Solution
On 2/8/2023 at 11:52 PM, semaj4712 said:

So before I start making major changes to my unRaid system, can anybody confirm or deny that unRaid actually supports this feature?

Please always remember ChatGPT is confidently wrong also most of the times.

I've played around with it and asked many questions about Unraid and all sorts of different things (scripting, coding, life hacks, social things,...) and if he answers he is often definitely confidently wrong and if you tell him that's not the case he apologizes and corrects his answer a bit regardless of the topic.

ChatGPT also told me that Unraid got no Hypervisor but he revised that after telling that QEMU is built in.

After I posted this a few weeks ago, I started reading up on how ChatGPT works.  It seems that it does read documentation and information about specific services, but it will also get confused between many different services as to what one provides.  It is better about understand general knowledge about something such as storage as a whole rather than a specific type of storage or service.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:21 AM, apandey said:

Huh. What is this based on? 

Are you saying unraid supported tiered caching before 2020 and now it doesn't? What is the source of chatGPT answer and how is it better than unraid manual in this case? 

He takes data based on our answers, sees that there is data on the Internet on some issue. Compares them and returns the answer. If you write a lot of articles of false information, then he will give out incorrect information. Therefore, the information was given to him from some to some years, and on the basis of this he makes answers if there is no information in the manual or outdated information, he will give out not the newest

1 hour ago, Alex2581 said:

He takes data based on our answers, sees that there is data on the Internet on some issue. Compares them and returns the answer. If you write a lot of articles of false information, then he will give out incorrect information. Therefore, the information was given to him from some to some years, and on the basis of this he makes answers if there is no information in the manual or outdated information, he will give out not the newest

So you are saying she is no better than "I'm feeling lucky" option of a basic search engine? How confident are you that the algorithm you are suggesting is the true one behind her implementation? 

Edited by apandey
On 3/3/2023 at 3:14 AM, semaj4712 said:

mean to be fair, I think their suggestion for tiered caching would be great, so technically whether ChatGPT is right or not, maybe its a feature that could be implemented in the future

It would be fair if it said so. "IMO it would be good to have in unraid, but I don't know if it's there"