Unraid Crashes When Starting VM with GPU Passthrough

tmlfan3

Hi,

I've been troubleshooting this for a few nights and seemed to have hit a dead end. I have my unraid server up and running for years now without issue. Recently I've decided to set up a Windows 10 VM on the server to do some work on. I have it running perfectly fine without GPU passthrough. I was initially using it with remote desktop and everything is running fine. Unfortunately the program I'm using has some known visual issues when running on remote softwares so I want to connect through the GPU.

I've gone through all the different SpaceInvaderOne videos to no avail and also looked at a few things on this forum but they did not work either (primarily this solution that was noted to work for someone).

If I set my VM GPU (and soundcard) to the HD5850 and try to start the VM, the whole server shuts down within a few seconds. Through some of the various settings (bind to vfio and editing to the xml to turn on multifunction and assign the same slot address) I'm able to get it so starting the VM just fails, but Unraid doesn't crash. 

I also tried running the user script to dump the vBios for the GPU, but Unraid crashes and the server shuts down when it tries to start the temporary VM.

Here's my system information:

Model:Custom

M/B:Supermicro X8SIL Version 0123456789 - s/n: VM11S70188

BIOS:American Megatrends Inc. Version 1.2a. Dated: 06/27/2012

CPU:Intel® Xeon® CPU X3450 @ 2.67GHz

HVM:Enabled

IOMMU:Enabled

Cache:256 KiB, 1 MB, 8 MB

Memory:16 GiB DDR3 Single-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 16 GiB)

Network:bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500

Kernel:Linux 5.19.17-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL:1.1.1s

Not sure what other logs are required but just let me know and I'll be more than happy to upload them.

Edit: Not sure if it matters, but I do have the HIS HD5850 connected to an x8 PCI-e port on the X8SIL-F board since it doesn't have x16. Everything I ready said that should be fine. It's connected to the proper slot that has the open end so that was simple enough. When I tried to change my primary graphics device in the Bios it only gave me the option of onboard or other. I changed it to other hoping I'd get something from the GPU but that didn't seem to work. Now I can't connect to the server to change the bios back, but assuming I'll just pull the graphics card and it was default to the onboard and I'll fix it then, just haven't had time.

Edited by tmlfan3

I’m also starting to wonder if it might be a power supply problem. I never really planned to have a GPU or anything more than HD’s in the server so only have 450W. Would line up with the GPU kicking in when the VM starts and then everything shuts down. I’m going to hook it up to a second PSU I have and test that out to confirm. 

• 4 months later...

How'd you end up with this issue?  Mine on 6.11.5 has been working fine for almost 2 years but now seems to crash when I start my windows 10vm.  However if I restart in safe mode with no plugins it seems to run fine....so I guess it may be a rogue plugin that is causing the issues

Hi all - I am having a somewhat similar issue - when trying to start a Windows 10 VM, I have no access to the VM tab, and I am unable to powerdown the server, or spin down the disks manually. All dockers are turned off. 

I am quite a noob - has anyone found anyway to fix this? 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...