Norco 4224 questions

znelbok

Hi All

There is so much info here that I am hoping that it can be summarized in one thread - both to help a new user out and potentially others in the future.

I want to use a Norco RPC-4224 case and have read about different fan walls, different fans and other issues (V3 case vs V2,V1) but that information is scattered all over the place.

So can someone please summarize what are the pitfalls to using this case, what mods are recommended and what accessories are a must

Mick

I'm no expert on this case -  just got mine yesterday (latest rev) but here are a few things I discovered.

1. If you don't like the constant sound of a jet taking off then the fans in the rear HAVE to be replaced.  In Raj I trust so I went with the recommended ARCTIC COOLING ACF8 Pro

2. The fans in the middle have a quick release which will come in VERY handy when trying to plug in all the power connectors.  I of course learned this after the fact.

3. These would probably be much easier to plug into the drive back-planes instead of the much more bulky plugs/cables on the PSU (Corsair TX750v2 for me).  http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=113.

4. Not being able to complete the build because you forgot to order the Mini SAS cables when you have everything else sucks!

I'm not really sure what to do about the fans in the middle yet.  First, they are not that loud to me.  Second, I'm starting with 18 drives and plan on more very soon so I don't want to sacrifice any airflow/cooling.

pfp hit the nail on the head!  Great advice, all around.  I'll add a few more thoughts:

1) Norco claims that you should only have to power one of each of the backplanes two molex power ports.  Start by following this instruction.  However, if you have any random problems, then try providing power to the second set of molex power ports.  I've had success using just one, but some users have reported problems with using just one.

2) Hand-tighten the thumbscrews that secure the backplanes to the case before installing any drives.  I sometimes receive new cases in which those screws are a bit loose, which can cause the drives to make a poor connection.

3) I also agree with replacing the rear 80mm fans right away.  I've found that you can actually get away with running just a single rear 80 mm fan if your build uses mostly green drives.  This allows you to use any 80mm fan.  If you want to run two fans, then you have to use a fan model that is thin enough.  I recommend the Arctic Cooling fan that pfp mentioned.  See my prototypes thread for a link.

4) I also agree with pfp that the middle 80mm fans are quiet enough that they don't need to be replaced.  However, if you want an even more quiet build, then use the 120mm fans I link in my prototypes thread.

5) Unfortunately there's no real way to know which revision of the case you will get, so I hope you like the one you get!

Also, in case you didn't see it, there is already a Norco 4224 Thread.

All good points.

few more tidbits.

That wire harness that PFP listed, Be careful with it.

It is cheaply made. when plugging it in, make sure all 4 pins connect securely!

I had 2 pins in 2 of the plugs come out when plugging it in.. that said, once you get it in, it does work fine. I have one in my build.

Seal up the wire slots in the fan wall after you run your cables. tape or foam rubber both work.

The midwall fans (and the rear in ver1) are not that bad. you dont want to sleep in the same room with them, but they wont kill you.

Plus they do the job just fine and cost nothing extra. I have heard louder gaming PC's

If you do replace them, I actually recommend Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm fans in the 120mm Fanwall. They are expensive, but worth the price.

The different versions really do not make a difference for unraid. you most likely wont need the front USB. it is handy for windows, not unraid. The second run is the best looking IMO. but, they all do the job just fine. other then some minor wire changes and the front handles/USB configuration, the rest is identical (I think the v1 drive LED's are brighter also). it is random what you get right now. I would have thought even newegg was out of the V1's but they still mix them in. IPC direct might get you a specific model if you ask? (they are Norco)

Make sure the air vents in the drive bays are in the correct position. open if there is a drive, closed if not.

You can mount a 2.5" drive in the tray without modification. handy if you want to use a laptop drive or SSD.

make sure you firmly seat a pullout after plug a drive into a backplane. a gentle little extra push after the handle is closed is a good idea.

Don't try and lift it by yourself when it has 24 drives in it.... sorry i had to point that out.. it is massively heavy.

if you stack them without rack mounting them, the upper ones scratch the lower ones pretty bad... they scratch the black paint off the top front also. i cut an old towel to fit between them. I have 3 in a tower now. ugh..

I would do a search in the forum and see how other people do their builds. some good info on what works and what does not. learning from other peoples builds is a good place to start.

Thanks guys

I have a small server room at the back of the garage so noise is not an issue.  I think I will start with the stock fans first and then if they are too loud I will put the 120mm fans in and replace the back fans.

Has anyone used a temperature controller to control the fan speeds.  They probably don't need to be spinning all the time, only when in the drives are producing heat.

As I have a rack, I will be putting mine on rails.  They are not cheap to add on, but worth doing right as pointed out, they are heavy and thus difficult to get out should it need to be removed.

I am slowly getting through the forums.  Lots and lots to read, but slowly getting their.

I am moving onto motherboards now - just got to see what others are using and try and find something available here (Aus)

Mick

I believe value for money wise if you are going with that many drives the norco is best. Unfortunately www.techbuy.com.au is the only place that sells them I believe unless you are going to try shipping from the states.

If you see my sig that is the list of components I have used and purchased here in australia. The supermicro stuff is nice but hard to find here. The asus board works but there are a few things to watch out for.

Go with the original fans first if noise isn't an issue. I replaced the 2 rears with the arctic cooling F8 as you can also stack the pwm plugs on each other and plug into one motherboard slot. The middle fans I have kept. If you want to change to 120mm fans let me know as I bought the 120mm fan plate but don't use it at the moment.

Josh

I dont know if Tyan is avalable there.

they make a nice sandybridge serverboard that is similar to the Supermicro board I use.

If you are not to worried about noise, then I say use the sock fans and let them rip. they do what they do best.

I have used a fan controller and it was a bit of a pain. there is no open bay to put it so it is inside the case or behind it or hanging from a wire.

If you want to get crazy, you can get pwm fans and make a script to control them based on sensors..

that would have to be something the motherboard supports. it is more work then i care to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Cooling during parity checks is a bit tough with mostly 7200rpm drives and stock mid fans.  (one guess which are the 5400rpm drives :))

This is while recalculating parity but the situation was the same when checking it too.

822011115006am.png

Archived