disk says Unmountable: Wrong or no file system after replacement and successful array rebuild

Yonder
Go to solution Solved by Yonder,

I had built an Unraid server for a friend and after several months of running apparently fine, but not being closely monitored, two issues arose.  One disk seems to have failed, and also the USB (Flash) drive seems to have failed and was running in read-only mode.

Worried about the significant potential repercussions of a failed OS Flash drive, I created a replacement one from a flash backup, and had my licenses transferred over and rebooted to the new flash drive.  So far so good.

Then to address the failing disk (which had been displayed as being emulated since it had failed), I stopped the array, assigned an unallocated warm spare that was running but unused in the system to the array, then restarted the array telling it to rebuild to the replacement drive.  Five hours later the rebuild seems to have completed with no errors reported, but now that one drive has an error:  "Unmountable: Wrong or no file system".   

What do I need to do now to get the disk mounted properly as part of the array.  I've never seen this happen before.   I know that I'm not supposed to try to format this un-mounted drive.  Attached are diagnostics.  

What should I do next? 

Thanks,

Frank

goldblum-diagnostics-20230217-0211.zip

Was this drive showing as Unmountable before the rebuild or did the emulated drive mount OK?  Just asking as the answer might affect the recommended way forward.   If it WAS showing as unmountable the it showing as unmountable after the rebuild would be expected as all the rebuild does is make the physical drive match the emulated one.   

Are you sure the drive had really failed rather than simply been disabled due to a write failing?

The correct handling of unmountable drives is covered here in the online manual accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI. 

On 2/17/2023 at 3:30 AM, itimpi said:

Was this drive showing as Unmountable before the rebuild or did the emulated drive mount OK?  Just asking as the answer might affect the recommended way forward.   If it WAS showing as unmountable the it showing as unmountable after the rebuild would be expected as all the rebuild does is make the physical drive match the emulated one.   

Are you sure the drive had really failed rather than simply been disabled due to a write failing?

The correct handling of unmountable drives is covered here in the online manual accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI. 

Sorry for the slow reply.   I had to dig up the screenshots I took before getting started with this maintenance.    

No, the drive was not showing as Unmountable before the rebuild.  I was looking like it had failed and was being emulated, but everything seemed fine at first.   Here's what it looked like before I tried to rebuild to a different drive:  

01.thumb.png.d07fd98875ad2fa201b1c1db2ca76f4b.png

I was also a bit worried about the Parity drive, but I figured that I'd start with trying to rebuild to a replacement to Disk 2 in order to get that drive intact again... and then perhaps replace the Parity drive as well.   This was what the disks looked like:

02.PNG.png.b930d0ed82f4e21b242247f9d9ef0627.png

However, after I ran the rebuild for 5 hours which seemed to have been successful, this was what I'm left with: 

03.thumb.png.2ef3f29191867789952ad81df33ab886.png

I don't really understand why it would've come out the far side of a parity rebuild without a working filesystem presented to me.  

It seems like the drives are all a bit unhappy, so I'm prepared to slowly go through them all and get replacing them.  They were old drives when I began, and they're now throwing SMART warnings fairly often.   If I lose a couple of files here or there to unrecoverable errors, that's not the end of the world.  But I didn't want to have to rebuild the whole server from scratch.  

Thanks for the help.  

• Solution

Actually, talking to my friend for whom I built this server, he has decided that he'd feel better just starting over once again with newer drives, and a clean setup.   Rather than trying to recover this, we're just going to wipe everything and start over.  

Thanks again for the help.