unraid suddenly not working

Kuleinc

I went to my server rack and found the server running and could login. So I asked unraid to restart which it did and I chose GUI mode during boot. The gui came up and opened a web browser, and could not display the webpage. During bootup I did see that the OS was looking for a file for ethernet config and could not find it. I suspect the HDD with that information died? Is that stored on the USB drive? Theres not much in the GUI...

Any help on fixing this would be awesome. I do not see a network control panel anywhere like I'm used to in linux mint on my workstation.

Edited by Kuleinc

Sorry I did not understand from the article that you just type diagnostics at the command prompt, how wonderfully simple!

nas-diagnostics-20230224-1407.zip

The 10GB add in network card with MAC address 00:02:C9:28:7F:D0 should be getting an IP address of 192.168.0.5 from the DHCP server. I think something is wrong because that should be ETH0 and its not... I dont understand how that could have suddenly changed. I should probably disable the unused Ethernet ports built into the motherboard as they are only 1GB...

Edited by Kuleinc

I ended up editing the eth rules config file and renaming te interfaces to eth0 and eth1 and it booted and runs the webpage now...

the array wont start because of a stale configuration though... not sure how to fix that. I don't understand how all of the disks can be offline but my docker containers are running...

Edited by Kuleinc

oh no! I did an extended smart test and it says: "Completed: read failure" I wonder what could have caused that? Is this something I can fix? I just bought a drive to double the capacity... ugh.

The SMART log shows no errors...

The history shows:

Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error # 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 38767 18069872 # 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 34871 - # 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 34806 - # 4 Short offline Aborted by host 80% 31085 -

Edited by Kuleinc
7 hours ago, Kuleinc said:

oh no! I did an extended smart test and it says: "Completed: read failure" I wonder what could have caused that? Is this something I can fix? I just bought a drive to double the capacity... ugh.

Any drive that cannot complete the extended SMART test without a read failure should be replaced.   That test is internal to the drive and not something the user can do anything about.

Ok so I got a cable for my other sata6 SAS conector on my add in card and hooked up the replacement hdd to it. I tried running DDrescue and got the attachment. I am currently running an extended self test on the disk, it was shipped to me in a bag, not box, no packing ugh.

Screenshot from 2023-03-04 13-37-03.png

OK the original disc seems to be working for now. Can I split up the appdata share onto the array and just have the zoneminder docker run on the new 3TB drive somehow? Or do the appdata shares need to be on the same disc? I only want to do this for performance reasons and to not put unneeded wear and tear on the array?