Any type of disk activity that is not cached and dont show up in the file activity utility?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have all my shares set to either cache:prefer or cache:yes but I still see some periodic activity is causing one disk of the array to never spin down and also causing the parity drive to remain spun up (so seem to be "updates of some kind").

Naturally I want my disk to spin down so need to figure out what is causing this...

Are there any type of disk update activity (changed ownership/permissions or anything else) that is not cached and instead go directly to the array or any other thoughts on what this may be or how to debug the problem further (when file activity plugin seem to be "bypassed" showing no activity what so ever)?

23 minutes ago, NAS-newbie said:

Any thought on why it behaves like this or what I am supposed to do to fix it and avoid it happening again?

Do one in general need to disable dockers and VMs when running the mover and in that case how to automate that (and why is it not done automatically by UnRAId if needed)?!

You only need to disable these services once to get the current state cleaned up for these default shares.  When the files are where they should be you can re-enable them and everything should then just operate fine.

The problem tends to occur when you first start these services without a cache pool attached.  As a result the services support files end up getting created on an array drive.  When you later add a cache pool Unraid  puts any new files for the "Prefer" type shares on the cache pool and tries to move what other files it can to the cache pool.   It fails to move these services support files because the services are holding them open.