Network issues (network reset a solution?) ---> lost drives

frodr
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I having some network issues that I would like to solve. Bear with me as my skills on this topic are somewhat limited. 

Issues:

Random Interface numbering, see picture. Interfaces disappeared from Networks setting list, i.e. eth4 with direct setup to another server. I have had different NICs in and out of the the server the last years. 

Possible solution?

If network reset is a way to go, what would be the steps to go?

1) Connect directly to GPU as network connection will be lost when resetting network?

2) Delete "network-rules.cfg# and "network.cfg"? Where and can I delete these file preferably thru GUI. I'm at copy/paste-level in CLI.

3) Restart server and connect thru GPU?

4) Manual setup of server IP.

5) Restart and connect thru IP.

I found a handful treads when searching "network reset", one tread marked as solved saying that "network-rules.cfg# and "network.cfg" should be deleted. I still need a fatherly push in the right direction....

// Cheers..

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 17.31.59.png

maxx-diagnostics-20230226-1753.zip

Edited by frodr
9 hours ago, frodr said:

Delete "network-rules.cfg# and "network.cfg"? Where and can I delete these file preferably thru GUI

Main tab, boot drive section, browse files using the icon on right end of your USB flash drive. Files are under config directory

In terminal, they are mounted at /boot/config

Or you can shutdown unraid, take USB flash drive to another computer. Files are under config directory

Deleting those 2 files will reset the network to default settings. If you have a DHCP server on network, it will assign unraid an IP which you can use to connect to Web UI. If not, you can use an attached monitor to setup manually

I am not sure what you are trying to do, your network config looks confusing. For example both br0 and br2 seem to be assigned the same 50.200 IP

• Like 1
9 hours ago, frodr said:

Random Interface numbering, see picture.

This symptoms doesn't common, similar as a disk if disconnect and reconnect periodic, disk letter will change from sdc sdd sde etc.

You need solve this, i.e. change PCIe slot or mobo.

9 hours ago, frodr said:

If network reset is a way to go, what would be the steps to go?

This won't a solution.

Edited by Vr2Io

Thanks for help.

I removed that pci card, and wile doing some maintenance I upgraded bmc firmware and mb bios. No error messages when upgrading,, but Unraid do not see any drives in the Array. And one nvme ssd placed in an onboard slot. The other 4 cache drives is ok. The sata setting is set to AHCI in the bios. 

In the log file in diagnoses it is some errors. One seems to be related to Sata, another to USB. Both by Asmedia. Tried to flash the bios again, no change. 

Is this a hw issue, bios issue or usb-stick? 

Really happy for any advice. Many hours on this issue today.

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 00.26.45.png

maxx-diagnostics-20230228-0021.zip

• frodr changed the title to Network issues (network reset a solution?) ---> lost drives

After upgrading firmware in the module ASMB9-iKVM and bios from 0602 to 1003 on MB Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI, all sata drives (Array) and one nvme ssd went missing. Sata settings in bios is AHCI. 

Logfile indicates errors:

ahci: probe of 0000:27:00.0 failed with error -22
ahci: probe of 0000:28:00.0 failed with error -22
ahci: probe of 0000:2c:00.0 failed with error -22

xhci_hcd 0000:24:00.0: init 0000:24:00.0 fail, -16
xhci_hcd: probe of 0000:24:00.0 failed with error -16
xhci_hcd 0000:2b:00.1: init 0000:2b:00.1 fail, -16
xhci_hcd: probe of 0000:2b:00.1 failed with error -16
xhci_hcd 0000:2b:00.3: init 0000:2b:00.3 fail, -16
xhci_hcd: probe of 0000:2b:00.3 failed with error -16

@apandey said some ASMedia controllers don't correctly identify to Linux and recommended booting pcie_port_pm=off flag. How to do that?

Any other suggestions is much appreciated.  Cheers.

maxx-diagnostics-20230228-0021.zip

Edited by frodr
Added diagnostics and corrections.

White text can't be read in light mode. Best is to not set text color at all, in any case, don't set text color to anything that can't be seen in light and dark mode.

Also, to notify another user, you have to type the @

and continue typing the user name, but then, you have to actually select the matching name from the list.

Like this @frodr

• Like 1