Parity disk - move from 2 - to 1?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi, 

I had some problems with a disk, so I fixed them and also added a bigger parity disk on the 2nd position (to move it later). 

My parity build is complete, so I removed the first parity disk and wanted to move the 2nd on the first position, but I haven't found a easy solution. Is it possible to basically just move it's position? how? 

Or does it even matter if my only parity drive stays on position 2?

10 minutes ago, patrickstigler said:

Hi, 

I had some problems with a disk, so I fixed them and also added a bigger parity disk on the 2nd position (to move it later). 

My parity build is complete, so I removed the first parity disk and wanted to move the 2nd on the first position, but I haven't found a easy solution. Is it possible to basically just move it's position? how? 

Or does it even matter if my only parity drive stays on position 2?

The calculations used for parity1 and parity2 are different so the disks cannot simply be moved.   If you want to move parity2 to the parity1 position then you would need to rebuild parity.  The alternative is just to remove parity1 and run without it leaving parity2 in place

20 minutes ago, patrickstigler said:

guess than I just need to remove the parity 2 - wipe it. And mount it as parity 1

And rebuild parity

20 minutes ago, patrickstigler said:

No data will be lost, I hope

Assuming no data disk fails while parity is being built, as you would running an unprotected array during that phase

• Like 1