Could a BIOS setting be causing problems booting Unraid v6?

For years I couldn't even upgrade to v5release due to a hardware incompatibility, a certain beta version worked, but beyond that it wouldn't boot.  Having abandoned my 6 port SAS controller I am now able to run v5.x, but when I trying to upgrade to v6 I don't even get to the screen to choose which boot option I want.

I've followed the upgrade instructions meticulously, I've tried the Unraid USB creator and tried the manual method using 3 different Sony & Verbatim USB sticks (I have 4 licences) but all stop at the same point, just before I'd expect the boot menu to appear if it was v5.

v5 boots just fine.

I ran the test and my CPU is 64bit & I have 3gb Ram in the server.  USB sticks ranged from 1gb to 64gb (I didn't have a 32 to try, and the 64 gb stick got just as far as the smaller ones).

Could there be a BIOS setting I should be turning off perhaps?  ALL my drives are connected via SAS controller in my 24 bay server case.

I'm in the middle of another Parity rebuild currently as I'm replacing disks with larger ones, so I can't give it another try until tomorrow anyway, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

One suggestion is to try using Rufus to format the flash drive as that seems to have worked for some people.  

Are you trying to boot in legacy or UEFI mode?

One BIOS setting that interferes with booting is having Fast Boot set, but if this is old hardware it is unlikely your BIOS has that option.

22 hours ago, itimpi said:

One suggestion is to try using Rufus to format the flash drive as that seems to have worked for some people.  

Are you trying to boot in legacy or UEFI mode?

I'll take a look at Rufus, but the boot sequence does start, it just hangs at the exact same point each time.  I only have a Mac, but I know someone with a PC if Rufus is a PC program.

I'm using UEFI mode currently as that's what the installer defaulted to.

4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

While this shouldn't cause the symptoms you are having, it will severely limit operations for V6. 4GB is a bare minimum these days.

Good to know, it's an old server so memory might be difficult to source for it, but I'll investigate adding more.   I did have 4gb in there, but 1 one the memory sticks turned out to be faulty on memtest.

I've decided to abandon this motherboard/memory & use another from a different donor system.

I successfully booted from that PC, so will switch the motherbaord & memory into my Server case.

Thanks anyway guys.

Edited by Suse User
Autocorrect error