Stop button too close to Refresh button...

Normally I'd call this a whiny request, but just now while intending to hit "refresh" I just hit "stop" by accident. Had to stop my shell jobs & back out of all paths to get things going again. It'd be all the more hateful if users were doing things. I know it's an admin view but it still seems like something with such drastic effects ought to be safer from mouse spasms, either by distance or with a confirm.

Normally I'd call this a whiny request, but just now while intending to hit "refresh" I just hit "stop" by accident. Had to stop my shell jobs & back out of all paths to get things going again. It'd be all the more hateful if users were doing things. I know it's an admin view but it still seems like something with such drastic effects ought to be safer from mouse spasms, either by distance or with a confirm.

ROFL.  Not laughing at your request, but you can rewind 3+ years in the forums and finding people complaining about the same thing.  Sometimes I think Tom gets a sadistic pleasure from these little prickles in the UI.  He tortured Joe L. for years with the restore button.   And I've always felt the "Stop" vs "Cancel" buttons for parity check were too easy to confuse.

Oh well - maybe your request will the the hundreth time and actually get Tom's attention! ;) ;) ;)

ROFL.  Not laughing at your request, but you can rewind 3+ years in the forums and finding people complaining about the same thing.  Sometimes I think Tom gets a sadistic pleasture from these little prickles in the UI.  He tortured Joe L. for years with the restore button.   And I've always felt the "Stop" vs "Cancel" buttons for parity check were too easy to confuse.

Oh well - maybe your request will the the hundreth time and actually get Tom's attention! ;) ;) ;)

LOL, I was thinking the same thing... I got a little laugh out of this before I went to bed.

I recall reading those pre-"I'm sure I want to do this" threads and thinking about it in a detached, GUI purist way. Now, with a few hundred(?) more uR-admin clicks under my belt and a mild case of BFBC2 post-traumatic-stress-disorder, my mouse-hand is not to be trusted.

Since clicking "Stop" loops until all blocks are resolved even "I'm sure I want to do this" would catch people out. Better would be that it back itself out after a couple tries. "Sorry, disk 2, disk 4 not cooperating blah blah...array restored" Maybe provide a choice for the safest exit, safe powerdown or whatever, at least stop looping. Minimize the new admin's temptation to reach for the power cord.

All in the interest of minimizing support impact, of course. Forum questions and their volume suggests to me that unRAID is following the usual path with an ever-broadening, less experienced audience. At some point the pain of coding around user-error has to be balanced against the number of panic-stricken posts to the support forum.

Okay, old-timers, back to your fun. ;)

My understanding is that the 5.0 release interface will allow fairly easy changes for "issues" such as this. I think one or more modified interfaces has appeared already.

Peter

Unfortunately not. Many of the files will change after each release. For example the latest beta put in a checkbox before you can stop the array. Those changes wouldn't appear if you edited that particular template file in a package.

Archived