(Solved) unRAID Share Allocation Method not being honored in 6.11.5

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I'm currently running unRAID 6.11.5 and for some reason I can not get my unRAID server to move files according to my new Share Allocation Methods. 

I used to use High-Water for every share, but switched several Shares to Most-Free after a couple of my disks reached 80% usage.

For whatever reason, unRAID keeps filling up my disks that are over 70% full, but won't write data to disks that only have 15% usage. 

I've made sure to verify the correct Allocation Method is set for the Shares that aren't being distributed correctly. 

You can see in the attached screenshot, that Mover is running and writing to DISK1 which is over 70% full while other DISKS have lower utilizations. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1291284045_ScreenShot2023-03-11at8_37_38PM.thumb.png.b626bc5071d9adac882c0ea08369cd64.png

651009169_ScreenShot2023-03-11at8_38_09PM.thumb.png.d29e85abd3223ace96c81a0bfba00ce6.png

threadripper19-diagnostics-20230311-2041.zip

Edited by FQs19
Added (Solved) to Title
  • Solution

I suspect that your problem is your very restrictive Split Level setting.   In the event of contention between settings the Split Level one always wins which means it can over-ride Allocation method (and Minimum Free Space) forcing files to specific drives.    This is a point made in the Split Level part of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

• Thanks 1

@itimpi

You're absolutely correct. 

I made this server years ago, before I truly understood how Spilt Levels worked. I did make a couple shares just for that reason like separate Music and TV Shows shares, but I added a Backups share recently, then just started randomly adding sub-folders to it without even thinking about the Split Level setting on that share. 

I don't want to make a new Share for some of the sub-folders, so I'm just renaming sub-folders and moving them up a folder in the same share so that the Split Level setting will work for all sub-folders under that share. 

My question is related to the new Dynamix File Manager, what exactly is the Sparse Option? 

I see it relates to VM's and how they are one size, but can be larger if needed. All I'm trying to move are backups, like flash backups zips from unraid, backups from my Unifi network devices, and appdata backups.

Do I need to check that Sparse Option box when I move folders up a level in that share?

Do I need to adjust my Split Level for that Backups Share before I move? Because there are several sub-folders that are located on separate disks.

Thank you so much for your help.

1375744129_Screenshot2023-03-12104358.thumb.jpg.7b27bf01e0db9fc846caf98d9cc32db7.jpg

• FQs19 changed the title to (Solved) unRAID Share Allocation Method not being honored in 6.11.5