Log Errors - UNRAID kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block

I attached my log shortly after startup.  I see several errors that read: 

"Mar 18 17:37:04 UNRAID kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block #####, async page read."

With various different numbers for the logical block.  I attached the log.  Any thoughts on what is causing these errors and how to fix it?

Thanks!

syslog.txt

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 6:05 PM, Dustin said:

I attached my log shortly after startup.  I see several errors that read: 

"Mar 18 17:37:04 UNRAID kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block #####, async page read."

With various different numbers for the logical block.  I attached the log.  Any thoughts on what is causing these errors and how to fix it?

Thanks!

syslog.txt 200.22 kB · 1 download

This is due to missing/broken UDEV rules. You can add a tweaked persistent-storage udev rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and reload udev to make the issue stop.

to fix this, just download the rules, copy rules to server, then in unraid root terminal go to folder where rules were placed and:

# mv 60-persistent-storage.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
# udevadm control --reload-rules && udevadm trigger

Now this fix isn't permanent. If you want it to be permanent, you need the user scripts plugin and set the plugin to echo the contents of that file into /etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-rules.storage and then run the reload commands.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25357
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/udev-persistent-persistent-storage-rules-for-dev-sr-hangs-udev/108411/2
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/23127 (which was ridiculously ignored and the kernel/media blamed for udev not handling exceptions)

I actually use a docker that monitors an external Bluray drive and rips discs the moment they're inserted and it texts my phone when its done so I can move on to the next one.  My family loves movies and we're always digging in the bargain bin or buying movies when rental stores sell them off or go out of business. Then I put the media away after ripping it because my children liked to use them like Frisbees. So now they're only allowed to watch movies via the Plex server on their Roku. Optical Storage isn't dead!

60-persistent-storage.rules

Edited by Darksurf
  • 2 months later...

I don't have an optical drive.   I do have a 3.5in floppy drive, which I never use.  There is also IPMI built within the motherboard that is enabled.  Since I don't have an optical drive, is it likely its caused by my floppy drive, or by IPMI?

• 5 months later...

Ok I made a new share called systemfiles, then I use cat to copy the file at server start using user scripts.

Hopefully this works

#!/bin/bash
echo Running Persistant Storage Rules
cat /mnt/user/systemfiles/60-persistent-storage.rules > /etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules
udevadm control --reload-rules && udevadm trigger
echo Finished