Restore server

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi All,

I've had a major issue with my server, which ultimately fried the usb boot drive. I had My Servers plugin running before the crash, and thought I had a backup because of this.

I've restored a USB with a fresh copy of unRaid, got it running and then tried to restore my backup, but I think I stuffed it. I went into the My Servers dashboard, but because the old server was powered off, i couldn't download a copy of the backup as there was no link!

So that led me to thinking that I need to restore my licence first, so I went through that process and transferred my licence to the new usb. Now, the server has disappeared, and I'm left without a backup, and I have no idea what order the drives were connected in to the array.

Any suggestions on where I go from here without losing all my data!!? 

• Solution

You might find this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page useful in at least identifying the parity drives.   It will not give you the order of the data drives but that will only matter if you have restricted shares to particular drives (and in such a case you can probably work out the original order by examining their contents once they are back online).

Thanks heaps. As luck might have it - the parity drive i had was damaged with the server crash and isn't powering on. I'll mount the drives that are working just to make sure, but from what I read, as long as you don't assign an array drive as a parity drive, you're not going to lose data, and can pop the disks into the array in any order.

Is that your understanding as well?

I'm going to leave the server off until I can get the parity drive replaced. I could probably start the array without one and ignore the parity errors, but I'm not excited about running an array without parity.