Server randomly locks up requiring a full power cycle

So we've recently been having an issue where the server will randomly and completely lock up and brick itself until we power cycle it. It won't show up even on the network in this state and refuses to communicate over ethernet. Since we don't leave a monitor plugged in we can't see the terminal without a full reboot. And the logs on the server are, least as far as I can tell, upon restart. Not sure where to go from here, other than maybe constantly leaving a monitor plugged in at all times, which, while not practical for us would work.

The server will sometimes go months without issue and then randomly give us problems. Not sure what the issue is, but not even flashing the latest BIOs has seemed to work.

Does anyone know where I should be looking for old log files?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/14/2023 at 2:57 AM, JorgeB said:

Persistent syslog didn't clear, but there's nothing relevant logged that I can see, start here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=819173

So I set my Power Supply Idle Control to typical current idle. And it's been happening on and off even still, I just had it lock up on my while I was trying to setup Nextcloud. The device disappeared off the network and no hard drive activity was shown on the case light. Here are the logs after a reboot

syslog-192.168.0.217.log

Dec 19 11:49:38 Rose-Plex kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x10a/0x150 [macvlan]
Dec 19 11:49:38 Rose-Plex kernel: ? _raw_spin_unlock+0x14/0x29
Dec 19 11:49:38 Rose-Plex kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xbc/0x12f [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)), then reboot.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/20/2023 at 4:24 AM, JorgeB said:
Dec 19 11:49:38 Rose-Plex kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x10a/0x150 [macvlan]
Dec 19 11:49:38 Rose-Plex kernel: ? _raw_spin_unlock+0x14/0x29
Dec 19 11:49:38 Rose-Plex kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xbc/0x12f [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)), then reboot.

Few months later and it seems like it's still happening. I tried leaving Nextcloud offline because it seemed to be related? At this point I'm really starting to wonder if its hardware related. Do you think its possible failing VRMs could be causing this?

syslog-192.168.0.217.log

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Have you disabled bridging on eth0 (needed to get stability when using macvlan as mentioned in Unraid release notes) since from the log you still seem to be using macvlan for docker networking rather that switching to ipvlan?

I've switched to ipvlan in my settings for docker? So it shouldn't be doing that. I am using custom docker networks so would that override that?image.thumb.png.0ee63f9c167facbe1dc97347dc351a6a.png

6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

No macvlan in use, did you reboot after the change?

Yes, I rebooted immediately after changing the setting and I've rebooted several times, especially recently considering I had to reboot the server to get it working again. I've also rebooted several times for NVIDIA driver updates. So I'm really confused why its not applying.

Edit: lemme try changing the setting back and then rebooting, the changing back then rebooting again.

Edited by CorneliusCornbread