Parity check stopping before completion

Go to solution Solved by mrbilky,

14 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

When I run a parity check it does not complete it stops randomly did I miss something in an update

homenas-diagnostics-20230415-1157.zip 179.52 kB · 0 downloads

Do you mean it actually stops (i.e. ends) rather than simply pauses?

The diagnostics you posted do not appear to show any parity check running.   Diagnostics taken after the problem has occurred might help shed some light on what is happening.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Do you mean it actually stops (i.e. ends) rather than simply pauses?

The diagnostics you posted do not appear to show any parity check running.   Diagnostics taken after the problem has occurred might help shed some light on what is happening.

Sorry poor choice of words yes it keeps pausing I just restarted and took this diag report while it states its running

homenas-diagnostics-20230415-1216.zip

According to the diagnostics the Parity Check Tuning plugin is (correctly) pausing the array operation every time mover runs (as it is configured to do) and later resuming when it detects mover has completed running.  How frequently do you have mover running - the default is once per day in the middle of the night.   The alternative is to not configure the parity check tuning plugin to pause array operations while mover is running.

do you have notifications enabled at the Unraid level?   If so the plugin should have been sending you notifications as it does the pause/resume actions.

EDIT:  I see you do not seem to have the plugin set to run any type of checks in increments.   Do you want the plugin pausing/resuming when mover runs then?   If not simply unset this option in the plugin settings.

• Solution

I went back to look when my last scheduled parity check was it was Nov 2nd and it passed I do not think I made any changes but I did have a fail disk which I found was a cable issue, could a plugin update cause a change as in maybe to a default setting I just have not made changes in a long time as it has been running quite fine as it is anyway as always thank you for the info as it was the mover set for every hour instead of what I believe I had set to nightly

10 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

I went back to look when my last scheduled parity check was it was Nov 2nd and it passed I do not think I made any changes but I did have a fail disk which I found was a cable issue, could a plugin update cause a change as in maybe to a default setting I just have not made changes in a long time as it has been running quite fine as it is anyway as always thank you for the info as it was the mover set for every hour instead of what I believe I had set to nightly

One of the recent fixes to the Parity Check Tuning plugin was around detecting mover was running, so I suspect that earlier the plugin was failing to pause things when mover was running despite being configured to do this.  This error getting fixed then started showing the behaviour you described.