passthrough unmounted linux_raid_member to Ubuntu VM

Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

Hi,

My parents IX4-300d NAS died and I'm trying to recover data from it through my unraid NAS. I only have a macbook so I can't really connect it to something else. The drive is recognized but unmountable due to linux_raid_member. Now I've read the forums and a VM with Ubuntu. So I installed Ubuntu on a VM but I can't seem to figure out how to passthrough the unmounted disk to the VM. I read something about using the ata-id method and tried to find a spaceinvaderone video containing this method but I can't seem to find it. I've attached a screenshot of the unassigned disks. Can someone help me out?Screenshot-2023-04-29-at-11-48-53.png

I would suggest to not do things directly on that hd, because you can do things wrong and damage it more as far as data recovery.

I would suggest to clone 1:1 that disk to an img file, then use that img to do what you want. In real I would backup also the img file, so to be able to start over again if something goes wrong with the original img.

You can use 'dd' command for cloning; obviously if you are cloning a 2TB hd you need at least 2TB of free space in the target disk.

--

Look also at this:
https://serverfault.com/questions/383362/mount-unknown-filesystem-type-linux-raid-member

and see if with the solution you are able to directly mount the hd on md0 without any need of a vm.

Edited by ghost82
15 hours ago, ghost82 said:

see if with the solution you are able to directly mount the hd on md0 without any need of a vm.

I could be wrong, but I think since Unraid changes the md driver you have to use a VM.

Other than that, I agree 100%, make a raw image, and play with that rather than the real drive.

• Like 1
  • Solution

In unassigned device set the 'Pass Through' switch to on for that drive.

Navigate with the terminal to /dev/disk/by-id/

List the content with ls command and identify the drive:

1908702554_Senzanome.png.67388845d68492ef98ecd5a933b4d423.png

You can see I have 3 disks starting with ata-; first disk has 2 partitions, the other 2 have one partition.

The id of interest is that without -partX suffix, for example:
ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_080713BB2F10WDETGEEA

ata-WDC_WD20EZRX-00DC0B0_WD-WCC300035617

ata-WDC_WD60EZRX-00MVLB1_WD-WX21D74532LF

It could be that when you list the content the ids could have '@' at the end of the file name, ignore it.

Go to your linux vm xml and add a new block for the drive, inside <devices></devices> for example:

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/XXXXXXXXXXX'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>

Replace XXXXXXXX with the correct id, i.e. ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_080713BB2F10WDETGEEA

This will attach the disk to the default emulated sata controller of the linux vm.

Edited by ghost82