Playing cat and mouse with a HDD showing "no device"....

Go to solution Solved by CaptainSpalding,

I was putting back one hdd to my unraid case and it was connected to a back pci slot. When I was putting it in place I hit the MB with the pci bracket and a blue light lit on my Supermicro MB. It has something to do with UID, but the light was blue so I just powered down, put the disk in place and powered on. It started somekind of reboot loop, when it stopped one of my drives was not shown on the device list.

I did not believe it was broken, so I started to check first the connections and then changed sata cables and different sata slots. There are not that many variations but I managed one time to have this device shown, but the other drive I changed sata cable with was not shown. I have only three sata slots I can try this with, but for some reason always one drive is shown as "no device". Obviously the disk is not damaged as it was shown in the drive list after it first went down.

I had similar situation before and I bought a more powerful PSU, but I think not enough power was not the problem, but Unraid somehow made decision that the drive is not working properly because of something completely different that happened with the server.

Is there any way to give Unraid a green light with this drive?

Yes, that was nice advice, thank you!

I checked the bios and it does not see the disk. I do remember that I had the same problem before and it was something to do with the sata drivers or what they are called. South and North. I have SATA 0-4 and 5-7 with their own... power settings? I think previosly it was a problem with those. Why would anybody disable a sata port btw?

tower-diagnostics-20230502-0319.zip

Edited by CaptainSpalding
  • Solution

Found the solution. I have had this problem before.

The needed IO combination needs to be selected in BIOS, in default only one of the three sata ports will be in use.

Advanced >> Chipset Configuration >> South Bridge Configuration >>Flexible I/O Selection

default is [PCIe x 2/Mini SAS/SATA(1:0)]