Edit container file owned by root

Go to solution Solved by Bitbass,

I've searched and haven't found an answer to this, so I'm probably asking the wrong question. However, I have a container I just added that has a config.json file in it that I need to edit. The json is owned by root and is not writeable from the container's cli.

I'm unable to chmod to make it writeable. I'm also unable to map the path. Every time I try I get a failure to start because it can't find an app.js file or something similar. 

I'm sure this is just my lack of familiarity with the inner workings of Docker, so please be gentle.

Ok, I think I understand now that I have to create the entire folder structure in the appdata folder or else it thinks it's missing. I can't find a way to make the single json editable, without recreating that entire structure, and I'm not sure what the best way is to recreate that in appdata.

This one boots but doesn't link up the config file:image.png.0086026cd379b8d6ebfb8a3b227cfde5.png

This one also boots but doesn't link up the config file: image.png.87757a7f524429e6399099ef90fbc9b2.png

Same for this one: image.png.e7929adfb5c95f0adea8bd733dee42c4.png

I'm not sure what I was doing earlier that was causing it to not boot but it seems to be starting every time now. However, I haven't found the magic combo that allows me to edit the file. Placeholder file in appdata or not, the container file never changes.

• Solution

I never figured out how to edit the defaults, but it appears this particular app does not allow for modifying the defaults anyway. You have to set the changes with URL switches. In my case, it's an image rendering size:

&kiosk&height=1080&width=1920

As long as you specify this it allows you to override the defaults in the config file.

Edited by Bitbass