Need assistance with Unraid server cache drive removal

Hello everyone,

I'm facing an issue with my Unraid server and I could use some help. Recently, I made a mistake by adding a cache drive to my pool that was only a fraction of the size of my other cache drives. Now I'm trying to remove this "smaller" cache drive from the pool, and here are the steps I took:

First, I moved all the data from the cache drives by setting every share to YES and running the mover. After the mover completed, I disabled the use of cache drives. I also created a new configuration to ensure that the array drives were preserved. Next, I removed the "smaller" cache drive from the pool and created a new pool.

However, the old cache pool required me to format it, which was not an issue since I had already moved everything to the array. The problem is that the "smaller" cache drive I removed still has some files on it, such as appdata and system files.

Currently, the parity drive is in the process of rebuilding, and it will take a couple of days to complete. But I'm starting to wonder if I should have formatted the "smaller" drive before starting up the array, considering that there were still some remaining data on it.

Did I make a mistake in the removal process, and how can I resolve this situation without creating further complications?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thank you!

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You have multiple cache devices, which is this device?

The following two were in a pool together:

Cache - Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_2TB_S6R4NJOR610134Y-2

Cache_appdata - SAMSUNG_MZVL2512HCJQ-00B00_S675NUOTA07380

”Cache” drive needs to be formatted and the “cache_appdata” drive had the data left behind prior to new config.

I am looking to keep them as separate pools, one as cache (2tb) and the other is going to be used to hold appdata on the cache_appdata

11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If you copied all the data you can just format both.

Sorry! Might be a stupid question but, how do I do that once assigned.

obviously the “cache” drive I just click format but the other one is assigned and doesn’t ask to be reformatted.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

Sorry - a copy paste error - now should be correct.

3 hours ago, Pmarszal said:

Sorry! Might be a stupid question but, how do I do that once assigned.

obviously the “cache” drive I just click format but the other one is assigned and doesn’t ask to be reformatted.

I believe I have worsened the situation, guys.

Upon starting, I noticed that all VMs and Docker applications are nowhere to be found.

When I explore the directory "/mnt/user/domains," I can locate the VMs.

Similarly, when I browse through "/mnt/user/system/docker," I can see the docker.img file. However, when I access the appdata directory, only krusader is visible.

I am convinced that I have completely messed up everything! Sigh... I deeply regret my actions.

unraid-diagnostics-20230516-1042.zip

I got VMs to return by replacing libvirt. Thanks!

Another issue is that my server array freezes and have to restart. The server becomes unresponsive with the unraid "wait" logo. I can click through the tabs but everything becomes unresponsive, including running a diagnostic.

Attached is a log after restart and starting array.

I appriciate all the help @JorgeB and @itimpi as I wouldnt even have gotten this far without the community.

unraid-diagnostics-20230516-1312.zip

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Pmarszal

More diagnostic details:

1. Crash appears to only happen when docker is enabled. 

2. Fix Common Problems is reporting: 

"Share appdata set to use pool cache_appdata, but files / folders exist on the cache pool

Either adjust which pool this share should be using or manually move the files with Dynamix File Manager  More Information"

I am at this point starting over fresh with docker so all I am looking to do a fresh start of docker. I've deleted vDisk file and all appdata but everytime i enable docker - it starts, fix common problems reports above and then eventually my array crashes (as explained above post)

I am also getting the following error in system log: May 16 16:34:32 unraid root: error: /webGui/include/InitCharts.php: wrong csrf_token